Khaki Campbells! Boy and Girl?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Blueicebird, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Blueicebird

Blueicebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Hiya! I have 2 Khaki Campbells and I am wondering if they are a boy and a girl. I assume the darker head and black spot on the tail of the one is a male, but I wanna make sure. Also the darker one has a soft honk while the brown has a loud quack. Also how old are they normally when they start laying? Mine are about 16 wks I think. Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Your Quacker is a girl and the other is a boy, just by voice sexing. Females QUACK and males have raspier, quieter voices. Another sign to look for in the male is the "drake feather" which shows up in adult plumage; it's the feather in the tail that curls back really tightly.

Most non-Muscovy type ducks begin to lay around six months of age.

3. Blueicebird

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Omgoodness! I saw that curly tail today! I thought it was just one that was sticking up! Haha! Awesome. Thank you [​IMG]

He is also the nice one, the female is kinda skidish and flighty. Are males normally docile?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My Cayuga drakes are more affectionate than the hens, yes. Same with the call ducks. That's if you have a pair, or both sexes. If you only had females, the girls MIGHT be more people-oriented, but maybe not.

Drakes are just friendly fellows. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  5. Blueicebird

Jul 12, 2011
    Watkins Glen
    Awesome! Thank you [​IMG]

6. anaiyuk

anaiyuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Alaska
    yes, you can tell by thier coloration [​IMG]

7. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes, looks like a hen and a drake!
    My females started laying around 18-19 weeks. It was earlier than I expected, but I guess all ducks are different!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by