Khaki Campbells head color

babybaits

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
We have 4 khaki Campbells that are 9 weeks old. It looks like 2 of them are drakes according to their feathers and quacks. Does every drake get a black or green colored head because the 2 that we believe are drakes aren't that much darker (if at all) then the 2 that are females?

Initially not usually, but as they come into their hormones and reach sexual maturity they should start to grow in their drake curls and darker heads.
Okay, because one article said that you'll see the difference between 4 and 8 weeks. Here's a pic just to try to get confirmation. The 2 on the left are females, right? For some reason 3 of their heads look a lot darker in the pic then in person.

Attachments

• 20230417_163223.jpg
    20230417_163223.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 62
All of their heads are dark, like males. I would reassess the gender of these four. I suspect you have all males, but how they quack is the best way to tell.
I think that's just the way the pic came out because they're not that dark when I look at them. The 2 with the spots on their lower backs have a real quack.

Okay, because one article said that you'll see the difference between 4 and 8 weeks. Here's a pic just to try to get confirmation. The 2 on the left are females, right? For some reason 3 of their heads look a lot darker in the pic then in person.
Yes it looks like two females on the left and two males on the right to me (basing off of pattern on lower back). If the ones on the right are rapsy/hoarse then definitely males.
4C2BA8ED-D4A4-4D8D-8AF9-4E4D67C86B4C.jpeg

Last edited:
You have two males and two females just like you thought. You can tell with Khakis by the feather colors above the tail. Females have two-toned feathers, males solid darker feathers.
FC1F04B9-1D15-49CC-B9D5-3C12259ACD19.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom