Khaki Campbells: newbie!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mum, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Last weekend, I bought a trio of Khaki Campbells. I didn't buy them on a whim n fancy, I have done some research and thought I was ready and informed.

They are last years hatch (whatever that means!) and I have been blessed with an egg since they landed.

Tonight, I braved free ranging them at the same time as my chooks: no issues. When it came time to "herd" them 'home', they bolted to my back porch! Now, on the one hand, that was cool; I could catch each one and return them all home. But, after 5 days, I had hoped they would find their way home to their house!!!??? [​IMG]

Next FR session is due on Saturday. Once again it will be scheduled around dusk time.

When I had captured them, returned them to their quarters, I took the opportunity of holding each of the trio for a few minutes so they can get used to the fact I = food/security. Was that right????

I know they are a prolific egg breed, but have a skitish/nervouse nature.

It is my intention (albeit, early days!) that they can FR with my chooks and learn to recognise me with food/water/safety; not fearfulness or threat.

So, how did you win over your KC's to understand you are not a threat but on their side? I do not expect them to be cuddle bunnies - that is not their nature - but I would like them to understand where 'home' is and that I am not *the* enemy around here!

Any and all advice welcome and appreciated: thank you.

2. ducksinarow

ducksinarow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Last years hatch means they were hatched last year and are probably a little under a year old. I have 5 campbells I raised from day 2 or 3. They a skittish but friendly little ducks. They however are not lap ducks and do not like to be held. I would give up catching them. This will scare the poop out of them. My ducks come running when I call or my husband whistles. They come better than my dogs. My trick is treats lettuce or thawed peas. I take a bag and shake it and they will follow me anywhere. This is how I put them in their kennel or coop them at night. This works for me. Best of luck. My ducks layed all winter. I have 3 dozen eggs in the fridge now with only 3 hens.

3. Mum

Mum Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2011
    UK
    Thank you!

Thawed peas or lettuce is what I will do :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by