Khaki Campbells, Rouens or what?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by QuailQT, Mar 21, 2011.

1. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    HELP PLEASE!
    Totally confused about what I actually have. I was hoping for KC when I got them. They were darker than the others and didn't have any markings on their faces (stripes) and a fellow BYCer suggested that they were Rouens last year.

They are excellent flyers and stay in the air for 5-10 minutes just flying around in large circles. I didn't think that KC flew very far at all?

All of these photos are the same two ducklings that I got last year at TSC. I thought I was getting purebreds, but maybe not (I know that some duck breeds come about from mixing other breeds)?

Ducklings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Teenagers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

One year olds
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    You have two male mallards.

3. QuailQT

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Quote:Aw darn!

I thought they had the large white ring around their necks though? These guys had a faint line, but it dissappeared. You really think that's what they are?

4. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    I don't think they are male mallards - no white ring around the neck and their chests are not the chestnut colour male mallards have. They are not Rouens either as they look just like over grown mallards. The females are not Mallards or Rouens either. No eye-striping or and mallard/rouen chicks don't look remotely like yours. Wish I could tell you what they are, but I can tell you what they aren't. ***EDIT*** Sorry, just realized your teenage ones were both males, not females. Not enough coffee this AM.

Rouen drake - same colours as a mallard drake - his chest is a chestnut brown colour - doesn't show well in this pic and the speculum, secondary feathers bordered by white is an amazing purplish, blue, sometimes green colour.
    [​IMG]

Female Mallard
    [​IMG]

5. QuailQT

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Quote:All of the drakes in my photos are of the same two as they got older. The ones labeled "teenagers" are the same boys before they got their final plummage. They do resemble females in that photo though.

Here is a photo that I found on a site of Khaki Campbell ducklings. The ones that I saw before were really brown, but these appear darker like mine did. Is there a chance that they could be KC's?
    [​IMG]

6. duckking

duckking Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Cascade Foothills, WA
    Yeah, I realized that about the teenage pictures after I posted. Sorry about that!

I wish I could tell you definitively. Look at pictures of KC drakes and see what they look like. I'm sure someone who knows ducks well will chime in.

7. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

8. QuailQT

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Wow! I think you're right![​IMG] [​IMG] This is soooo exciting! KC's are what I really wanted when I got them and then I was told that they were Rouen's or Cayuga's when I posted the duckling photo on BYC last spring.

Thanks for the link with the photo. I found this picture online too and it looks a lot like my boys.
    [​IMG]

Here is one of my boys last fall (I think). He has more brown on his chest in this photo than in the photo I took today. [​IMG]

I would really like to get some females now!
    If they are KC's, I can tell you that these boys are excellent fliers, though I have let them have the run of the yard, so they are in very good condition.

Thanks for all the help! I guess I need to change my signature now! :O)

9. QuailQT

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    Here are a couple pictures that I took in the coop last night. The brown on the breast looks darker in these photos than in the daylight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Duck Mad

Duck Mad Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Rugby
    The two teenage females are dark KC I just learnt that with my Dark KC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by