Khaki Campbells - Where to purchase?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nu Chix To Cash, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Nu Chix To Cash

Nu Chix To Cash Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    My son has decided he wants to show Khaki Campbells in 4-H next year. I've been told we need to have the ducklings no later then Feb. I've been looking at Metzers and Holderreads but can't decide. I see I can still get them from Metzers but it looks like I'd have to wait until April or later to get them from Holderreads. Any thoughts? Is there another hatchery I should be looking into? Any insight would be appreciated.

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    If you want to have show quality ducks, then go with holderreads. For hatchery quality ducks, meters has good stock. But not AS good as holderreads stock. But metzers is still a wonderful hatchery.

3. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Have you tried looking for local breeders? Quite a few of us have lovely KCs.

4. Nu Chix To Cash

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    I really haven't looked local. I don't want to buy stock from someone he might be showing against & to be honest I don't have a clue how to tell SQ from PQ so I want to go with a breeder w/a good rep. I would love to purchase frome someone local if you know of anyone.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    This is not a knock on 4H I showed as a kid. However, I don't think a 4H show warrants to price of best of the best such as Holderreads or the numbers required to be ordered. Now working with a private breeder would be a great way to support a small farmer.

6. Nu Chix To Cash

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    The only reason I'm considering allowing him to spend a bit more on a 4-H project is because we are trying to improve our flock which these will eventually join.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Holderreads is defiantly a excellent source for good birds. However, there waiting list are usually very long. Metzer has good birds but there not really show quality. You might want to post in some nearby locations on craiglist. Are you planning on raising ducklings or are you open to adult birds?

8. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    I bought from Holderread's several years ago (Khaki Campbells). They are wonderful birds, still healthy and beautiful. He isn't that much more expensive than anyone else. I wouldn't worry too much about buying locally for 4H shows, but I'm not so much about kids doing everything there is to win, it's enough that they learn the ropes, have a good time and make friends. If your kids find they really enjoy it, they can learn to breed up their stock (if need be) or get something fancier later. If I had a 4H kid and there was drama about competing against the person they got their livestock from, heads would roll! [​IMG] To me, personally, that would be unacceptable behavior in an organization where they are to learn how to do things and general good sportsmanship.

I did my share of showing in the dog world and I really despise the nastiness that people get in to when winning becomes everything. It was a shock to me when I started to do well at the higher levels the amount of lying, back biting, lawsuits over nothing, broken words and competition to sell pups or stud services. I was pretty sheltered I guess, that sort of thing was never allowed in our family and I showed with my mother until I was in my early 40's and I lost her to cancer. We had a wonderful time, win or lose.

These are just my thoughts, I do recommend Holderread's for nice birds. The back two are Welsh Harlequin, the front three Khaki Campbells, all from Holderreads. BTW, I'd recommend the Welsh Harlequins over the Khaki Campbells, they lay as well and are calmer, a little bigger and prettier. It is a little harder to get the color and some of the big hatcheries seem to send out birds that aren't clearly the right breed.

[​IMG]

9. Nu Chix To Cash

Apr 28, 2010
    Central Iowa
    Thanks guys.

GrannyCarol - I would LOVE the WH however this is his project so I let him do the research and decide. The KC's are what he decided on so I'm trying to support his decision. He wanted a prolific layer so maybe if I have him read this to hear the WH's lay just as well, are prettier and calmer he'll change his mind. [​IMG]

When I look at Holderread's prices (not the top SQ birds) they don't seem that far off (minus the shipping) from what we've paid for ducklings at the feed store. I want him to do well because he's earned it, not because we paid for it. I know he's a hard worker so I want to give him the best opportunity I can if that makes sense.

A few years ago we purchased chicks from a hatchery and they had multiple problems (crooked beaks, split beaks, etc.), I don't want to have to worry about that and was hoping going with higher quality birds we would hopefully avoid that.

Kevin,
    He can purchase adult birds however I'd rather him raise duckings so he gets the full experience.

10. GrannyCarol

GrannyCarol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Washington
    That sounds like a good candidate for Holderread's alright. If you don't buy their top quality breedings, you will still get nice ducklings. I've ordered from them three times and always got really nice ducks. I do have a soft spot for the WH, my favorite duck, whom we just last this last summer, was a WH duck named Silver. She would follow me around the yard and help me weed by sticking her bill under my fingers and looking for worms. She was so tame and underfoot I had to be careful not to step on her when I was feeding. [​IMG] I didn't go to any great lengths to tame her either, but she was my bud in the duck yard. Quite a character.

The Khakis have been good pets too, but not like the WH. They have been very healthy and long lived, I should try to get ducklings from them next spring, except I have tooooooo many ducks and its a bit of a pain to set up a breeding pen for a month before I can be sure the eggs I collect are pure. I'm enjoying the Anconas, they are so diverse and so cute. I don't think they lay quite as well as the Khakis, but they do seem to lay well enough for me. [​IMG]

Oh yah, ducklings are WAY fun and much easier to ship.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by