Khaki campbells wont eat fermented feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThIsafricanhome, Dec 31, 2016.

1. ThIsafricanhome

ThIsafricanhome Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2015
    Hey I have a small flock of khakis that refuse to eat their fermented feed. They will only eat what greens I throw them and do everything they can to avoid their fermented feed. They just turned five months and are starting to show signs of mating but no eggs yet. Im woried about them getting the proper nutrition when they wont eat their feed. Do other ducks like fermented feed and I just have a picky group?

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Is the fermented feed new to them? I've transitioned newly-acquired adult ducks to FF and they've (after an initial period where they seemed unsure because it was different from the dry feed they had been eating) all embraced it. What's your process for fermenting it, and what kind of feed do you use?

It's possible that your ducks are picky, but I think you can get them to come around; initially, you could try sprinkling something they like, like rolled oats or black oil sunflower seeds, on it to get them to taste it.

3. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Mix your feed and veggies together in a large rubber bowl of water......It works...Ducky soup......They gobble it up....Never throw the greens on the ground as they become picky and wait for that.....I also keep a bowl of dry feed out and they all munch on it during the day.....

Cheers!

4. ThIsafricanhome

ThIsafricanhome Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2015
    They are not new to the feed and have actually been on it for months - Ive been doing a battle of the wills for them to eat it and Im afraid Im loosing!

I use a home-mixed feed that they have has since hatching but I just moistened it when they were young and they would gobble it up. Since switching to the fermented they barely touch it. I use the one-bucket method of taking out what I need daily and replacing it. I used to do the individual bucket method but switched as my feed demand went up with growing numbers, They reacted the same to the fermented feed in both methods.

They really seem to be picky and wont try new things at all. Not yogurt, cooked rice, other scraps or even vegtables and greens that are foreign to them. Are all ducks like this (first time with ducks for me) or just khakis? Its actually frustrating! My hens and guineas gobble up everything I bring them especially the fermented feed and the ducks turn up their bills.

Ill try chopping the greens up and mixing them into their feed and see if that helps. Crazy quackers.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Not a breed specific thing.....It is Ducks......Chopping and adding to water really helps.....Mine got picky once the plants died off during the fall....I tricked them and mix all their favourites in a watery soup......Yummy!.....

Silly Ducks........

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by