Khaki Campbles Prefer Creek Versus Pen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emhartner, Nov 19, 2014.

1. emhartner

emhartner Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    I have 6 Khakis and every day the same routine - let them out at 7am and they head about 400 feet down to the (up to 3' deep) creek (usually flying the whole way). Between 3pm and 5pm the come back up to the house, forage in the yard, eat their food, and drink their water - every once in a while resting as a group. Then at about 10pm I put them in their pen (covered with tarp on the windward sides) for the night.

Well recently in PA it's gotten quite cold - last night at 10pm it was 16 degrees and the Ducks were no where to be found. We go down to the creek and there they are - seemingly content. This morning they are still down there (again seemingly content) but now it is 10 degrees.

Is this normal? Are they able to keep warmer in the water than in their pen?

My concerns are (1) they will freeze (2) night time predators (3) this will be their new routine and will not come back up more in the late afternoon - even when it warms up,

Can anyone please explain what is going on here in Western Pennsylvania?

Many thanks,
    Eric

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I'd try to convince them to come home so you can lock them up before dark daily to protect them from predators and from the harsh weather. They probably won't freeze but if the creek freezes they will be really sitting ducks for the preds. hopefully once the weather moderates they will come up on their own then start to train by using something really yummy they like, mine love whole corn and dried meal worms they will do just about anything I want them to, But I have trained my ducks to go to bed before dark and now that time has changed they are ready by 4 pm daily. Then I let them out after day light. Water fowl can get frost bite.

Welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. emhartner

emhartner Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2014
    Miss Lydia - thank you very much for your reply.

They stayed down at the creek all night and were still there in the morning. When I came home from work, they (all six of them) had already let themselves into their pen. All safe and sound now.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

What a nice surprise. Glad they came home. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by