1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Khaki colored chicken? Henk69 assist?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Apr 19, 2009.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I went to the genetic calculator and was playing around with something I thought about......the result ended up being khaki [​IMG]
    does anyone know what breed has this color? I was wondering what it would look like in real life.....

2. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Khaki is the homozygous form of the dun gene. Here's a wc khaki polish. Not sure what other breeds are recognized in khaki.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2009
  3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    interesting, thanks for posting that pic [​IMG]

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    So far I think polish are the only breed that is recognized in khaki. Any breed that comes in chocolate (dun) will produce khaki such as OEGB, wyandotte, etc.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    so chocolate seems to be like blue? as it seems to produce black, chocolate, and khaki. Which would mean khaki would be similar to splash? Or am I totally wayyyy off base? I am saying similar as in the way it reproduces itself...

6. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    Quote:You are correct. Khaki is basically a dun splash. Same percentages and everything. When dun and blue are crossed dun tends to be dominant over blue.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Actually, khaki it is the hom. form of the dun gene (I^d), not the chocolate gene (choc).

Fawn silver duckwing is similar, except that it's built on a silver duckwing base.

8. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    I am here to assist, but most questions have been answered... [​IMG]

9. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I saw some Khaki Polish at the NEPC show last January. They were really neat looking, a very attractive color.

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Henk69......your genetic calculator is getting me in so much trouble [​IMG]
    dh just keeps shaking his head....but at least the *new* colors are all with the same breed [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by