Khaki Hens - one laying one not

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 1, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    We got two Khaki hens on 6/8/11. One started laying on 10-27-2011. The other has not started laying yet. Assuming they are approximately they same age (based on size and development when we got them, this appears likely), the second one should start laying relatively soon, correct? Has anyone had two ducks of relatively the same age/breed that started laying at drastically different times?

We humans can be so impatient when waiting for our daily gifts! [​IMG] Or maybe it's just a nervous less-than-one year of having ducks and keep wondering if I am missing something wrong/important~

Did you know there is a direct correlation to how many times my hens escape their outdoor pen to how cold it is outside? Ice this morning....have had three hens fly the coop. Time for netting on top the run I guess.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
  2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I had a rouen hen, and a ancona hen, the rouen started laying 3 weeks before the ancona. And they were the same age. just wait it out. Dont worry, you will get eggs from both soon enough!

3. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Thanks....impatience and ignorance (still feel like I have no clue where these ducks are concerned) do not make for good combination!

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Sometimes when they start laying they don't lay every day. If you are getting eggs daily it could be both laying every other day. Ducks are wonderful at hiding their eggs too. They will often dig themselves a little nest and cover the eggs with dirt, leaves etc. They also don't always lay in the morning, if they forage at all, eggs could be anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by