Kibble as a predator deterrant?

LauraMae

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2020
hi, I'm a new chicken owner and I was wondering, would placing kibble at strategic areas away from the coop keep predators distracted? I have my coop up by my deck, which is surrounded by a low 3 foot fence. If there is food outside the fence, will they bother working to get within the fence and then within the coop for a fresh bird? Or will it only attract predators and serve as an appetizer?

hi, I'm a new chicken owner and I was wondering, would placing kibble at strategic areas away from the coop keep predators distracted? I have my coop up by my deck, which is surrounded by a low 3 foot fence. If there is food outside the fence, will they bother working to get within the fence and then within the coop for a fresh bird? Or will it only attract predators and serve as an appetizer?
It will distract them until it’s gone. Then it’s on to the birds...

The only thing that will "distract" a predator is if it sees or senses a bigger predator. Outside of that, you need to figure out what predators are in your area and secure you coop and chicken run against their method of attack. Hawks will fly right down into a chicken run that's not fenced or netted over the top. Foxes will dig under fences, raccoons can climb.... In the words of Guns & Roses, "Welcome to the Jungle!"

Back
Top Bottom