Kick in and out temps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by grandpaw roo, Feb 5, 2013.

1. grandpaw roo

grandpaw roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Lanc.Co. Pa.
    At what temps does your incubaters kick in and out?Been trying to keep mine centered but temps are floating by 3 degrees.Might be time for a new wafer?

2. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    mine runs about a 2.5* spread

3. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    3 degrees difference will work, just shoot for the middle. Set it to go on at 98 - off at 101. the middle being 100. I'm not sure you will find a wafer that is any better then the one you have. I've bought a few that weren't any better & a few that were worse right out of the box.
    I personally hate inaccuracy, so I switched to solid state temperature controls. They generally will control temps to within 1/2 a degree. I'm not suggesting you do that, it's my own opinion.. There a LOT of chicks hatched using wafer controls

4. LukensFarms

LukensFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2013
    Fort Collins, CO
    Get a new wafer. I don't like my temps to fluctuate more than half of a degree.

5. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    x2

6. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I have a new hovabator, (1602n with fan and turner) it is running 1.5* spreed, this is its second time in use and was ran for several days (each time) before putting eggs in it. Should the wafer be replaced on this new unit?

7. cannedman

cannedman New Egg

Dec 26, 2012
    South Central Kentucky
    I build my incubators and I have tried water heaters and wafers and they all work just not the accuracy that I think they need to be. I have switched to this item and it works great. It takes a couple of weeks to get the unit but it’s worth the wait.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170848694225

8. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    Quote: Short answer ---NO. 1.5 degree will work just fine, just adjust , which I assume you've already done. I don't know if you bought a new one, it would be any more accurate.

9. RWise

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    Yes I bought it new in December, have ran I hatch and a second is now set. Here's a thought, the digital equipment is to sensitive/accurate, gets a bit of fresh air from the fan, temp falls on the digital thermometer, we see it and worry to much, even try to re-adjust the stat to make up for the "new" temp reading. I sat it before the eggs went in and am not going to touch it this round, I hope things work better this time! I do have 14 5 week old little ones in the hen yard from the last hatch, so it wasn't a total disaster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by