Kicking Bedding Out Of New Nest Boxes?

Juise

Songster
8 Years
Mar 4, 2011
Hey all, I recently replaced our old wire nest boxes with bigger wooden ones. They are in the same place, and they are laying eggs in them, but they keep knocking all the straw out! Some of the eggs I have been collecting were cracked because they dropped right onto the wood bottom.

I made the front lip on the new boxes the same height as the old, I never had this problem with the old ones. They were wire and the bedding stayed in the bottom just fine. These are all wood, and while the straw stay around the perimeter of the boxes, there is never anything in the center bottom.

I am thinking it is because the smooth wood is so much more slick than the wire was, but what can I do to keep the straw in the bottom? I feel like I should put something more "grippy" down, but I am not sure what.

I am pretty sure most nest boxes have a plain flat bottom, so I am hoping someone will have some advice for me!

Thanks in advance.

Old Boxes

New Boxes

We use indoor/outdoor carpet in the bottom and skip the straw all together. The girls don't mind it and they can't scratch it it. We replace it every few months or as needed. We did this because we had the same problem you re having.

Thanks, we put carpet in the bottom of our first nesting boxes, but it didn't seem to last very long. We had scraps then, but not now, where do you buy that small amount of carpet? I am thinking I may actually check the dollar sore for rugs, maybe I can find something cheap to do the job.
smile.png

Rugs are a good idea. I have also used leftover boat carpet for mine. That stuff lasts a lot longer than the cheap I/o carpet. I don't use anything that Is too long. Also be careful if it starts to fray on the edges. I learned that one the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom