Kicking bedding out of the nestboxes to lay on the bare floor...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CowgirlPenny, Jul 10, 2011.

1. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I have one laying hen (I hope the others start in a week or two!) She's laid every morning for three days. The first morning she laid in a bare nestbox. It was bare because they would get in it as pullets and kick all the straw out. I did not expect them to start laying yet (17wks) so I hadn't added any new material in. The second morning I added some fresh straw and left the middle sort of bare for her. Today I went out and she had went in to EVERY nestbox and kicked all the bedding out...then made a nest over in the corner of the coop floor with said material and laid in that little nest. [​IMG]

Should I try pine shavings instead? Small towels? Yesterday when she laid on the totally bare floor there was a small crack on the end where it landed. I had to cook it right away so it did not spoil. I want something there to sort of catch the egg. What should I try?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Some hens just get super excited about doing their thing. I would think she'd probably kick the shavings out as well. Maybe you could put a piece of carpet in the bottom of your nestboxes- that's what I had to do. Then I just cover the carpet over with shaving. Good luck!

3. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Oh that's a great idea! Don't have any spare carpet but I have a few rugs that I'm not using, I'll try those then cover with shavings! Thanks

4. farmer geek

farmer geek Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2010
    If you put a little rim on the edge of your nest box, it sometimes prevents them from kicking everything out.

5. CowgirlPenny

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    Nope. I have a full 1x3 sideways with a 3 inch lip and she's still kicking it over!

6. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    the carpet idea is a good oneor if you can find a foam knee board like what you can buy for weeding to kneel on some thing like that will work than if they dont want bedding do give to them and the eggs will still have soft landing. And easy cleaning aswell pull out spray off and put back the carpet would have to dry... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by