Kicking dirt into the lawn and its a muddy mess

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by nwgirl, Jan 16, 2010.

1. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    My Pacific Northwest lawn has turned to mud this winter. I have four hens who have kicked a ton of dirt out of the garden beds and into the lawn. Any ideas about how to keep the dirt out of the lawn? Maybe some sort of garden edging??? H-E-L-P!!!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    cheap garden fencing...

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I've dealt with the same thing here. In fact I had dig a small dry moat along my run that I clean out and put into the garden every month or so so that they don't ruin the lawn next to the run.

4. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Ummm..... I hate to say it, but I think you just have to decide: Chickens or garden [​IMG]

I'm afraid at our house the chooks have their own bit which is more than big enuf to call it free range, and that's it. [​IMG]

5. nwgirl

nwgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Quote:I knew you were going to say that. [​IMG] I think you're right, but I hate the thought of keeping them contained, yet I see no other choice. Spring is coming and I need to rake all the dirt back into the garden and reseed my lawn.

6. Liney

Liney New Egg

Jun 3, 2012
    I have placed really large rocks around my garden edge and also in between the plants. This stops them form kicking and scratching dirt yet they can still peck away. I have only done this in my smaller beds along walkways.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by