Kicking Rooster - How do I put him down humainely?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenWendy, Feb 3, 2008.

1. ChickenWendy

ChickenWendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I have the meanest rooster. i got him off of craigslist when he was 4 months old. he's 6 months old now. he took to being the top dog (so to speak) because all of my other chickens are only 4 months old - so he is 2 months older and huge compared to the other 10 chickens i have - all standard breeds. i have 2 other roosters but they have been raised with the hens that i have from hatch and they are all very pleasant so far. this rooster is a black austrolorp and he has taken to kicking and just being extraordinarily mean to everyone any time we go out to the coop - to feed them, to put them up for the night, etc. we can not turn our backs on him. i cant have him hurting my children. i dont want to admit this but he has to be but down. how do i do that humainely, or rather how does my husband put him down humainely??
    we have tried everything and he isnt understanding that he cant be mean to us.
    i have no clue about butchering chickens and i have no problem putting him in the stew pot, but what do i do? help please???

2. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Why dont you re-home him?

3. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    dont kill em just sell him
    [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, you can go to the meat bird section and see the many ways to process a chicken there. I personally wouldn't want to rehome a problem rooster, but that is me.

You can also google "how to butcher a chicken" for a few methods.

5. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I wouldent give my problem to someone else look into some posts on here.

Henry

6. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    I find a hatchet to be the quickest and most humane way to get a roo in the stew pot. Of course everyone has their "favorite" way to dispatch a bird.

Here is a good link that information on how to butcher chickens.

I wouldn't feel right about selling a nasty roo to someone else, so I think the stew pot is a good place for him. Waste not, want not. [​IMG]

7. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    Chicken rescues have taken worse birds. Someone might take him that just wanted to give him a new life.

8. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    i refuse to rehome a mean, kicking rooster. if he is kicking us and being extraordinarily mean for no reason why wouldnt he do that somewhere else? why would i do that to someone else? he was fine for the 1st month, but he has just gotten bad. no rehoming. but thanks for that advice. i may not get to put him in the stew pot, but i figured there was a nicer way to put him down then to get out my shotgun. but today after the way he acted with my 13 year old, he's a goner. i wont have my children scared of a chicken. and i never wanted to do this to a rooster, especially him because he is gorgeous, but i have seen the damage a mean rooster can cause. summer's coming and my kids will be wearing shorts and things. plus why do i want them afraid of chickens? it doesnt have to be this way. i just wanted a nice way to do the deed. oh well.

9. ChickenWendy

Dec 3, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    great butchering weblink. got that one saved for my husband and me to look at tomorrow. thanks

10. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    Quote:she is totally right you should [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by