Kicking the chicks out_Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by casumm, Jul 17, 2010.

1. casumm

casumm Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hi all. The ladies are almost 6 weeks old. They've moved from their steralite brooder into a dog crate brooder, but still reside on our glassed in front porch. IT'S TIME FOR THEM TO GO!

The bigger they get, the bigger the mess gets. I'm probably 2 weeks out from finishing their big-girl house. I want to move them back to our detached garage. That should be predator proof at night, when it's all closed up. Even with the access door and the garage door, I think it's pretty secure from raccoons and opossums. Anything else I should be thinking about?

What do I need to consider for protecting them during the day? Our garage is open most of the day for kid-toy access and the dog and cat roam the back yard. Will they be safe enough in the dog crate as is? I was thinking about setting the crate out in the yard during the day/nice weather. Can I put them in the yard and leave them or do I need to close them up in the garage when we leave the yard?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

chris

2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    Is your backyard fully fenced? If so, how high is the fence?

3. casumm

casumm Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Quote:It is fully fenced. The chain link on the two sides is 4' and the privacy fence along the back is 6', I think. It keeps dogs out but it wouldn't deter a cat or anything nimble like that.

-c

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by