Kicking the chicks out_Advice Needed

casumm

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 27, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Hi all. The ladies are almost 6 weeks old. They've moved from their steralite brooder into a dog crate brooder, but still reside on our glassed in front porch. IT'S TIME FOR THEM TO GO!

The bigger they get, the bigger the mess gets. I'm probably 2 weeks out from finishing their big-girl house. I want to move them back to our detached garage. That should be predator proof at night, when it's all closed up. Even with the access door and the garage door, I think it's pretty secure from raccoons and opossums. Anything else I should be thinking about?

What do I need to consider for protecting them during the day? Our garage is open most of the day for kid-toy access and the dog and cat roam the back yard. Will they be safe enough in the dog crate as is? I was thinking about setting the crate out in the yard during the day/nice weather. Can I put them in the yard and leave them or do I need to close them up in the garage when we leave the yard?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

chris

Quote:
It is fully fenced. The chain link on the two sides is 4' and the privacy fence along the back is 6', I think. It keeps dogs out but it wouldn't deter a cat or anything nimble like that.

-c

Back
Top Bottom