Kicking the shaving

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by showgirl96, Mar 21, 2013.

1. showgirl96

showgirl96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Dose anyone know what they are doing!? Every time I turn around my little chicks are kicking the shavings and pecking the floor. They are in a 35gallon tub with plenty of room to roam. Maybe they like to hear the knocking of the plastic?? I have no clue! I have also seen them manny times rubing their heads in the shavings and shaking their heads. Is this anything to worry about!? My first time with chickens, but my turkeys never did this? Any advice helps:)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    They are beginning to do what chickens like to do all day. Scratch the soil to look for seeds and bugs.
    They are also probably trying to dust bathe.

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They're scratching. It's what chickens do. If you see them dig their bodies in and fling litter all over themselves, that's a practice dust bath. Once they are able, they'll do the same thing in dirt.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Because they scratch their shavings, you'll have to keep raising the feeders and waterers to keep them clean.

5. showgirl96

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Thanks guys! I really apreciate it!
    I saw some dried worms and seed stuff at tractor supply, so do you think I should give them some? Will they try to eat the eat the shaving? Will it hurt them?

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They don't need anything but chick feed. Some introduce other foods as treats. If you do, you should give them chick grit to help them grind up those other foods. And go easy on the treats -- you don't want to throw off the nutritional balance too much.

7. showgirl96

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Ok thank you! I really appreciate it!

8. grammym

grammym Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2012
    Sequim, WA
    Mine are two weeks old and have been kicking the shavings since the were about a couple of days old. it's so interesting that they know to do this all by themselves. i've even seen them doing the dust bath routine in the shavings.

9. showgirl96

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Yeah I know! They are so funny just to sit and watch them! Haha:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by