MetroMutt

Songster
Mar 9, 2021
NJ
does anyone else have hens that will kick their waterers? My one girl Esther keeps kicking/almost scratching the waterer until all of the water comes out and I dont know why shes doing it, for now we are refilling/cleaning it twice a day but we are going to put it on top of some bricks and if that doesnt work get a cup waterer.

From what weve seen Esther is the only one who does this and we have no clue why. All of them can be trouble makers in their own ways but this probably the most annoying thing

Hazel- tries to play on the concrete area(we try to keep them on the grassy area/garden when free ranging)
Chicken- poops on you when you pick her up (to put them back in the coop/run we have to pick them up if they dont come when we refill the food)
Mandy- pecks at her sisters a tiny bit(not a ton but shes the only one who does this and its not letting Hazel heal up, not really any open wounds but shes taking feathers so were gonna get some pick-no-more soon)
and of course Esther kicking the water and sometimes food over

They ALL do it. Waterers are the bane of my existence. I only use the hanging ones now so they can’t spill it. Made by Little Giant. I had my husband line the inside of our brooder with hardware cloth so we can hang it. I use it for food too. But you can literally hang these anywhere.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 11
does anyone else have hens that will kick their waterers? My one girl Esther keeps kicking/almost scratching the waterer until all of the water comes out and I dont know why shes doing it, for now we are refilling/cleaning it twice a day but we are going to put it on top of some bricks and if that doesnt work get a cup waterer.

From what weve seen Esther is the only one who does this and we have no clue why. All of them can be trouble makers in their own ways but this probably the most annoying thing

Hazel- tries to play on the concrete area(we try to keep them on the grassy area/garden when free ranging)
Chicken- poops on you when you pick her up (to put them back in the coop/run we have to pick them up if they dont come when we refill the food)
Mandy- pecks at her sisters a tiny bit(not a ton but shes the only one who does this and its not letting Hazel heal up, not really any open wounds but shes taking feathers so were gonna get some pick-no-more soon)
and of course Esther kicking the water and sometimes food over
How old are these birds, in weeks or months?
Please post a pic of your setup.

Back
Top Bottom