Kid friendly breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cherndon712, Feb 24, 2008.

1. cherndon712

cherndon712 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    WY
    I know of a few, having 3 kids myself! But there are so many breeds that I haven't had!! So, what do you all think are the more kid friendly breeds?

2. S n M Poultry

S n M Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Riverside,CA
    I have a dozen silver phoenix eggs avail to ship monday if you still want them?

3. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    In the end product it really is a combination of individual chicken personalities, the breeding line and how they where raised.

4. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    >>>>>>Cochins, Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, Silkies, Dominiques<<<<<<<<< I've had them all at one time or another and they where all gentle birds and for the most part very calm.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Buff Orpingtons are the most sweet and gentle you will find. Plus as they age the eggs will be some of the biggest and best.

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    my orpingtons are really good around kids and tame. my barred rocks are skitty but i have never hatched them. We got them from a friend.

kstaven is right. you have to hold them and pet them everyday. that way then know your one of the flock not a predator

7. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    Delawares are pretty calm. Nice brown eggs and will stop to let running kids pick them up.
    My americaunas (sp) are pretty skittish as well as my gl wyandottes (who are pretty, but seem to throw their weight around). lol
    --------------------
    16 spoilt chickens, 1 13yo rescue chicken-hound dd [​IMG] dh

8. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    I just got into Mille Fleur D'Uccles and Bantam Barred Rocks, both of which have GREAT personalities! Another great plus about bantam barred rocks is that they are small cute, and take up less space but they still lay an egg each every day!

9. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    with the above listed I will add Salmon Faverolle

10. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    My salmon favorrel Pullets and delaware pullets are the calmest and nicest hens my marans pullets are also very nice.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by