kid friendly geese??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by monster1, Oct 6, 2008.

1. monster1

monster1 Chillin' With My Peeps

which breeds are good around kids? i know the buff, pilgrim and tuffed roman are good breeds around kids. how about the toulouse?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Any goose I have ever come in contact with had a great need to try to take off my nose.

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    My toulouse chases anyone or anything that enters the yard except for DH and I. But I love them and they are so pretty.

jackie

4. lovinthechickens

lovinthechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2008
    northern SD county, CA
    In all of my experiences, geese are evil little buggers :mad:

But very pretty [​IMG]

5. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

NONE!!! [​IMG] Just Kidding.

I don't think its much on the breed but the personality of the goose itself.

6. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Even females are mean? When we picked up our babies, the woman had to get in between us and the males so they wouldn't take us down [​IMG]

7. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    My sebastopols are very friendly. I've never had a problem with them around anyone.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Geese are what you make them. Seriously. The geese I hatched imprinted on me. My kids are always around when I feed and care for them or go out to visit. The geese do not like my 10 yr old DD. They do try to nip my 2 yr old DS if I turn my back on them. Geese pick their human. You don't pick the goose.

For the most part though if you hatch your own goslings, have the child feed and tend them daily under your supervision, the geese will accept them into their flock. I find my sebbies to be the sweetest. My barnyard toulouse and giant dewlap toulouse are next in temperment. I had some others with Africans in them and they were just mean. My embdens aren't real friendly either.

9. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i third the sebbies. sweetest birds on the farm. i've had many visitors with small children and they all can walk right up to them and i've had no problems. the only thing they bite is the cats/dogs.

10. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    Very true MissPrissy. I have a Buff American and he is the sweetest thing to me and my son. My son knows not to go into his pen without me. I dont know what Mr. Goose would do if I wasn't there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by