Kid illness question

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Feb 17, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    My daughter came home yesterday complaining of stomach pain and headache with a mild fever. She had a nasty bathroom moment and then said she felt better. So I thought that was it.

Since then she has been remarkably symptomless except for the fever which is now sitting at 101.4. She is clear eyed and talking and drinking fluids. She ate sparingly at dinner, but that's not unusual for her. Any thoughts?

2. vickiesykes

vickiesykes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2011
    Flu or stomach bug?

3. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    There are a few nasty bugs going around right now. With my daughter, I usually just try to make her comfortable and don't do medicine unless she really needs it. She craves yogurt when she is sick, too. Somehow her body knows it needs those good bugs to help fight off the bad ones.

Trust your gut, though. If you're ever worried that it is more than a simple bug, it doesn't hurt to call the pediatrician. They'd rather you call in the middle of the night than risk it.

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Hey that's weird, my DD does like yogurt but she downed two full cups of it at lunch and had a go-gurt later....

We'll see how she does over night. There is no way I can stay home tomorrow so my MIL will have her. I hate that. I am grateful, don't get me wrong, that I can leave a sick child with her, but I don't know what's wrong and I'll worry all day anyway.

I'm not medicating the fever yet. I think its her bodies way of killing off the bug and I won't mess with that unless it gets higher. Then its bath time!

Any other ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. You know how helpless you feel when they're sick.....

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Our whole house is sick with the flu right now. Fevers of 102 and over and that is the ADULTS! Body aches, etc. It sounds like she feel a whole lot better than we do!!!

6. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I hate it when my kids are sick. We've had a fever and headache bug at our school, my kiddo had it. Yours might have the same sort of thing. Unfortunately the bug going around here lasts about 5-6 days. We've also had strep and flu in the school. Isn't winter fun?

I also generally let the fever run unless it gets to high. At least the fever keeps them down, and they don't feel better and over do things.

I hope everyone is better in the morning. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  7. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    mom'sfolly :

I hate it when my kids are sick. We've had a fever and headache bug at our school, my kiddo had it. Yours might have the same sort of thing. Unfortunately the bug going around here lasts about 5-6 days. We've also had strep and flu in the school. Isn't winter fun?

I hope everyone is better in the morning. [​IMG]

Soo fun! Our daughter had both ears infected and the beginning of pneumonia this week. Then she refused to take her medicine and spit it in my face. Luckily she's taking the meds and feeling better. :eek:/​

8. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Sounds like the virus all mine just got over last week. Usually they just had fever the first couple days. After that it really was just tummy complaints.

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:Soo fun! Our daughter had both ears infected and the beginning of pneumonia this week. Then she refused to take her medicine and spit it in my face. Luckily she's taking the meds and feeling better. :eek:/

Funny! We have to hold Robert upright and plug his nose til his mouth opens to get childrens Motrin down him.

10. classicsredone

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    Funny! We have to hold Robert upright and plug his nose til his mouth opens to get childrens Motrin down him.

She finally decided to put chocolate milk in her mouth, and THEN she'd let us put some of the medicine in. It is messy, but it works. We were really close to having to drive back downtown to get a shot of penicillin so that the pneumonia didn't get worse. We had a bout of it last June, so we have to be on the ball about it.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by