Kid tolerant breeds!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TaraBellaBirds, Nov 29, 2013.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    We made the decision to raise chickens for the production of food. We did all our research and choose some amazing breeds that were suitable for our needs. [​IMG] What we didn't prepare for was how much the kids (and us too) would enjoy playing with the birds! All was well until I took in a little austrolorp that had been injured in another flock. I was pretty sure that the little roo had some genetic issues, he was MUCH smaller than his hatch-mates and held his tail crooked! Well we nursed him to health and he held a special place for us, so we decided to keep him just strictly for a sweet pet!

[​IMG]
    Pip, became my 5 year old's buddy in no time.

One day my Son went out to get his Pip and found him dead [​IMG]His neck was broken so we think that a hawk had grabbed him but got fought off by our brahma roo. We were all upset, but none so much as my Son.

So now my Little Dude wants every bird we have to be a "new Pip". None of our flock quite fits the bill as a fluffy play toy!

So I decided to ask the experts!!! What breed would tolerate being carried, loved, and carted about by a rambunctious little boy? I would also need it to be a breed that can hold it's own against my large flock (27 soon to be +) of standard size laying hens and not be too susceptible to predators!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'm sure you know you're asking for a lot.

Predator proof breeds aren't those that are content to being coddled and carted about.

Roosters are an issue with kids because kids move fast and so do predators. That causes the rooster to mistake a running child for a predator and attack.

Adding one or two birds to an existing flock is always a problem. A flock with a rooster won't necessarily accept more roosters unless one has a huge amount of space.

This may sound counterintuitive to some. I raise Black Penedesencas. They are among the most skittish, wild birds.
    As the birds age they become calm around their owners but still are freaked out by strangers.
    I've been flogged by roosters but after close to 100 BP roosters, I've never been attacked or threatened. They just aren't that into you.
    What I love about them is their vigilance toward predators, they are the most alert birds, run like the wind, can fly well if pressed and are great protectors of hens and chicks.
    On the other hand, when I catch one, I can hold it for a long time and it seems content. They just don't cotton to being caught.
    Perhaps if it is tamed from a chick it can become a pet.

So, you may never find a breed that fits your criteria but birds are individuals like us so you may. Good hunting.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Are you wanting a hen or another roo? My first two choices for a fluffy kid pet are usually silkies and cochins, silkies are probably too special needs for what you want, but maybe cochins might work? The standards tend to be really big, but they are cute and fluffy and usually quite friendly if socialized. I also like Sussex quite a bit for pets, they may fit in easier to your general flock.

1 person likes this.
  4. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    When my oldest were only 3 and 5 we had a australorpe and two Isa browns. They tolerated all the attention from the kids which included being smuggled into bedrooms and taken to tea parties in the cubby. They were carted round all the time and never complained :).
    [​IMG]
    Would you believe they got carried like that and never struggled to get down lol

We now 10 years later have favorelles which are a super placid breed for kids and a decent size as well. They have a reputation for going to the bottom of the flock due to their placid ness but mine don't seem to have totally inherited that as they sit middle top of our flock. While I love my favs I am finding their tendency to go broody a bit of a pain since I don't hatch eggs. I don't remember our old ones ever going broody.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  5. kmollyhughes

kmollyhughes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2013
    Northern Nevada
    My daughter loves to baby her silkies/sizzles....but they aren't the smartest with hawks. A couple EEs let her grab them pretty easily, and even our black sex links always squat for her. We have a super sized flock (45+) with 3 roos who free range our property and they don't mind the kids at all. Really just depends on the bird. :)

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Silkies are the quintessential pet chicken and are nice for broodiness. They are also one of the most vulnerable to aerial and terrestrial assault.

I vote for predator proof birds.

7. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    LOL Yes I know! Predator proof is rather an impossibility but a breed like the Silkies that can barely see much less run is not a type of bird we are looking for. The BP sounds like a breed we might be interested in for our production flock though! As far as production goes I truly love our brahmas and Jersey Giants! I was disapointed in my JG hatchery roos though, they were very aggressive toward my kids! The BP sound like a breed that could do well being cross bred with a calmer breed like the JG's [​IMG]

8. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I like the idea of another hen of course but I am totally open to a new roo too! You are right about the silkies, they are lovely birds but I don't think they would fit in well with my semi-free-range (they free-range in the spring and summer) flock! The cochins are one of the breed that caught my interest for a buddy-bird, they are large enough to fit in well with the other flock. I had a Speckled Sussex roo, he was gorgeous but too aggressive toward my kids.

9. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I just don't think that silkies would work well in my flock. We free-range Spring and Summer and although the birds mostly stick to the trees a few of the birds find their way onto the open Fairgrounds chasing grasshoppers [​IMG]! I just really don't want to have another moment where my little guy finds his favorite bird dead......[​IMG]

10. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by