Kid with a cold

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Mar 5, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This morning when I let the goats out and started to do milking, I saw that our one remaining kid (the other two went to new homes yesterday), has a stuffed up nose. I wiped her nose and face, but her nose is definitely congested. I do not know what her temperature is, but I can get a thermometer later today and check. It is really, really hard to get a vet to see goats around here so I am wondering if there is anything I can do myself first. Should I get some antibiotics?

2. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I have treated mine with Vicks vaporrub or Vet RX..a few drops in the nose. Also add Vitamin C to its feed.

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Thanks, I will try those things.

4. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Ok, I'm going to yell here: TAKE THAT TEMP!

Baby goats are EXTREMELY susceptable to pnuemonia. Now (as several people here can attest) I'm not really into pushing meds into animals, but this is something I have learned the hard way not to ignore.

I lost three kids last year to pneumonia before I could get RX meds from my vet. It can be quick and deadly.

I don't want to scare you (ok, maybe I do), but you AT LEAST need to take that temp and have meds on hand "just in case". If I had had meds on hand last year, I would probably would have been able to save the kids.

Excenel works! Ask your vet for it specifically. It's pricey, just worth every drop.

5. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:Excenel? I have to ask, how is it different then penicillin or BioMycin. Those are the 2 meds I have for my goats so that's why I asked about the difference in those 2.

6. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Excenel? I have to ask, how is it different then penicillin or BioMycin. Those are the 2 meds I have for my goats so that's why I asked about the difference in those 2.

Excenel is a MUCH stronger antibiotic. Pen to Excenel is like water to whiskey.

Of course, if you don't have a relationship with a vet, you can't get it, it's RX/vet prescribed only. Pen is better than nothing, for sure. I don't mess around with respiratory illnesses anymore.

I learned a hard (and very expensive) lesson.

If pen is all you can get your hands on, then I would use that. Biomycin is more for foot rot/pinkeye type infections, but again, if that's what you have, it's better than nothing.

Each antibiotic is targeted toward a specific type, even though they are all considered "broad spectrum" antibiotics.

7. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa

Excenel is a MUCH stronger antibiotic. Pen to Excenel is like water to whiskey.

Of course, if you don't have a relationship with a vet, you can't get it, it's RX/vet prescribed only. Pen is better than nothing, for sure. I don't mess around with respiratory illnesses anymore.

I learned a hard (and very expensive) lesson.

If pen is all you can get your hands on, then I would use that. Biomycin is more for foot rot/pinkeye type infections, but again, if that's what you have, it's better than nothing.

Each antibiotic is targeted toward a specific type, even though they are all considered "broad spectrum" antibiotics.

I have a good relationship with my vet, he'll give me anything but cheaper prices. I'll check to see if VetServ has it first. Thanks!

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:[​IMG] I know how THAT goes [​IMG]

9. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    How should I give her vitamin C? Can I buy capsuls of it like I do Vit. E? Can I/should I give her some poly-vi-sol? I have that on hand. If she needs antibiotics, can I give her LA- 200? What antibiotics are good for what things?

10. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    Goats produce their own vitamin C. You really cna;t help them much there. If you want to try it any way, give them a pine tree. The bark and needles are full of it and the goats love them. You are beat off getting your hands on some antibiotics. Tetracylcliine will work, but you can't switch around with anitbiotics. The best ones to use have already been mmentioned.

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by