Kiddie pool for ducks.

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
Hi all!

So, I have four pekins. I know that a kiddie pool will suffice for them, but I had a few questions. Does it need to be a particular height? Most of the ones I have found are 6-9 inches. Do you like a particular brand? Is it ok if I just buy the 15$ one from Walmart?

Thanks in advance!

Hi all!

So, I have four pekins. I know that a kiddie pool will suffice for them, but I had a few questions. Does it need to be a particular height? Most of the ones I have found are 6-9 inches. Do you like a particular brand? Is it ok if I just buy the 15$ one from Walmart?

Thanks in advance!
Do you have a link to the one you're thinking about?

I've only kept one group of runner ducks, two mallards, and two geese for a short time, but the kiddie pool was great. Mine was, oh, about 4-feet across and 6-inches deep. They'd have loved it more if it were bigger and deeper, but that would have made it too hard to clean out (daily!) and refill. I did stack some patio blocks around the edges, and one or two in the water so they'd have an easier time getting in and out and it worked fine.

I always thought that if I ever kept ducks again, I'd make them a much bigger in-ground pool with a proper drain that I could open or close as needed to flush it out.

Hi all!

Thanks in advance!
I got a kiddie pool for my ducks from Walmart, too! As long as it suffices for the ducks (if they can climb out/in), I don't think there is anything in particular you need to look for.
Just remember that kiddie pools can spring leaks after a few months.

Do you have a link to the one you're thinking about?
Hi Hank! Thanks for the reply. I was originally just thinking something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Funsicle...ve-Unisex/926488570?athbdg=L1103&from=/search

But that just seems so shallow to me! Maybe it will be ok? I also found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Jasonwell-Fo...d4-b7f44875a2ec&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Which is deeper, but I was concerned might get worn out quickly, or scratched up and ripped

I've only kept one group of runner ducks, two mallards, and two geese for a short time, but the kiddie pool was great. Mine was, oh, about 4-feet across and 6-inches deep. They'd have loved it more if it were bigger and deeper, but that would have made it too hard to clean out (daily!) and refill. I did stack some patio blocks around the edges, and one or two in the water so they'd have an easier time getting in and out and it worked fine.

I always thought that if I ever kept ducks again, I'd make them a much bigger in-ground pool with a proper drain that I could open or close as needed to flush it out.
Hi Hank! Thanks for the reply. I was originally just thinking something like this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Funsicle...ve-Unisex/926488570?athbdg=L1103&from=/search

But that just seems so shallow to me! Maybe it will be ok? I also found this:

https://www.amazon.com/Jasonwell-Fo...d4-b7f44875a2ec&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_atf_m

Which is deeper, but I was concerned might get worn out quickly, or scratched up and ripped
I got a kiddie pool for my ducks from Walmart, too! As long as it suffices for the ducks (if they can climb out/in), I don't think there is anything in particular you need to look for.
Just remember that kiddie pools can spring leaks after a few months.
Thank you!!

Hi all!

Thanks in advance!
Any kiddie pool will suffice for fully grown ducks. For ducks from fully feathered through to fully grown, there need to be bricks or some other way of enabling the ducks to safely get in and out.

My son's first kiddie pool was from Walmart. He used it as his brooder, and then for duck water play in his back yard. But they are not robust and will eventually split when lifting them to empty the water -- sooner if you have it in strong sunshine. My son is in Florida, and even there, Walmart and other places don't stock kiddie pools in the winter -- and guess when they split?!!!

I use a Little Tikes green turtle sandpit for my ducks. It is much more robust and has wider walls for the ducks to stand on. Plus the lid covers it at night keeping out mosquitos and reducing debris falling in. I found it on the side of the road before trash collection. So I advertised on NextDoor asking if anyone had such a sandpit they nolonger needed as I wanted one for my son's ducks. Within hours I was gifted a second sandpit for my son.

I am currently on an extended stay in Virginia. I brought my old flimsy blue kiddie pool with me. Before it finished it's day, someone advertised a blue sandpit for free on social media [the local buy nothing sell nothing Facebook group]. My ducks were lucky as I was gifted it. This sand pit doesn't have a cover, but it has a half depth pocket on one side where I can leave frozen peas. The ducks love getting their frozen peas from the water there!

So: sure a Walmart kiddie pool will suffice, but be sure to have a back up available at the end of the season! However, I encourage you to use your local social media. I have found people are only to happy to pass on their children's/grandchildren's old sandpits. They don't want to throw them out becuase they are good quality, but storing them takes up space in their garage or shed. I always share photos of my ducks using the donated sandpits with the donor -- even for the prior owner of the green tutrtle I picked up on the roadside.

Attachments

• 20230316_095825.jpg
    20230316_095825.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • 20220603_145935.jpg
    20220603_145935.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 18
I use a Little Tikes green turtle sandpit for my ducks. It is much more robust and has wider walls for the ducks to stand on.
Yep, ya just gotta make sure it's the old style, because the new style doesn't have the wide edge on top.

I recently added a 96" diameter by 16" depth pool thinking that the ducks would swim under water, like they did when they were juveniles, but they didn't. So much for adding depth.

We just upgrade to a kiddie pool that is larger (59” across x 11.5” H - holds 100 Gallons or so) and they girls use it no problem! We make a paver steps up and out for them.
I also attached a union bulkhead / ball valve (25$ all together for parts which can be re-used/removed) to the bottom as a drain so I don’t need to flip it to empty. I’ve cracked to many doing that. We drain it every 3 days as it quite gross by then with our 3 ladies.

If you’re interested in adding the drain I followed this YouTube tutorial:
Adding Ball Valve Drain to Kiddie Pool

Back
Top Bottom