Kiddie pool ponds

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dumb_cluck, Jul 25, 2010.

1. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    *****This was posted on Wifezilla's "Duckponics" thread

Wifezilla, it's been a pleasure reading this thread! Keep us up to date. I am subscribed. [​IMG]

You have inspired me to clean out the kiddie pools! My ducks aren't particular to the looks of their "pond(s)", so I let them make a total mess. It's fun to watch and they really enjoy themselves.

It's just about to rain, so I will wait until tomorrow for some pix. I started with one BIG kiddie pool and now have added two smaller ones to accommodate the other two cliques. (You can read the story on my website)

Our yard has a gentle slope downward toward the garage. Because of the run-off, the previous owner dug a french drain around the garage. Seems to be perfect for where I put the "ponds". The local frogs love it and if you approach real quiet like, you can count the eyeballs peering out of the mud. (Mud is the aftermath of dirt + water + ducks.)

I used portable dog pens attached together to make a labyrinth of 3 corridors for each clique. Bill, Jill and Sally get the biggest one, Skittles and Penny get the next biggest and Donald (Bertha) gets the little one.

"Bertha" was supposed to be a girl friend for Skittles. However, "Bertha" is really a "Donald". So, back to looking for a bride for Skittles. [​IMG]

I found "Penny" at local farm where they just had ducks everywhere! She was not missed so she was given to me for free. Didn't like "Free" for a name, so Penny was the ticket.

Now Skittles has his lady, but now I have Donald a bachelor! Grrrrrrr [​IMG] Maybe next year, I can't keep up with the duck math right now.
    Besides my 5 Speckled Sussex, I have 6 ducks and my mini horse occupying the entire back of the garage which is now known as the "barn".

I promise pix of the ponds tomorrow!

2. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Here's the ponds as promised:
    [​IMG]

and Cochise checking out the new pen
    [​IMG]

There are all 6 ducks out there. 3 in the big pool, two in the medium and Donald the Rouen in the small.

3. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Ummm I don't think your mini likes the gate that seperates him and the pool! Looks like he wants in on the action! [​IMG] (hopefully your mini is a he... [​IMG] )

4. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Yup, Cochise is a stallion. ANYTHING that comes into his "space" that is new, he has to check it out.

He has, managed to knock over the pens a couple times (see my website). Horses like to lean on stuff..........

The "junk" on the top of the pens is camouflage and shade. We have an occasional hawk that circles, so I provide a privacy cover.
    The ducks do not stay out at night. They are indoors under lock and key. (Same with Cochise and my chooks.) The little red wagon in the background is what I transport them with. 6 ducks are HEAVY.

The three amigos I can trust to go back inside without me transporting ('cause they were my first ones trained very well) [​IMG] The others, I don't want to take a chance. I hate chasing anything around to get them inside. [​IMG] The chooks are going to be a challenge, however........ [​IMG]

5. apdan

apdan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Ohh I know how that is! My horses lean on everything and they HAVE to check everything out! EVERYTHING! I actually got lucky with my ducks and chickens! They spoil me something terrible, they put themselves to bed every night. I just have to go down in the morning and open the gate to the pen and then go down at night and close it! That would be cute however to watch you cart around 6 ducks in a little red wagon!! [​IMG] I can picture it now if I tried to put mine a wagon [​IMG] they would HATE ME!

6. dumb_cluck

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    The ducks are carted in a small wire cage and the cage sits on top of the wagon. All 6 don't ride together. I take them in groups (cliques). They have separate pens inside, so I transport them as a "group" and put them in their respective pens.

I need to put a Youtube video together........[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by