Kidding! Any guess on this doe?

JerryDwane

Songster
Mar 6, 2018
I bought this girl about a month ago and she was already huge at auction. Shes very healthy but I'm really wondering about this pregnancy. I checked today and she finally has some milk. It barely squirts when pinched and she is not fully bagged up. She did not have any milk 5 days ago.

She is really huge and looks like she is going to explode lol. She has yet to separate from any of the others or anything.
Any guesses from the experts out there as to how much longer before she starts to kid?

If you think you have a good idea as to when would you tell me what signs you are going by in the photos that gives it away so as to help me in the future? Thanks

goat-1.JPG
goat-2.JPG
goat-3.JPG
goat-4.JPG
goat-1.JPG

Can you take a picture of her udder from the back? Ours are 3 months and not quite that big. I'd bet she is in her last month somewhere. If she is just getting milk starting to fill, I'd guess 2-4 weeks out. As she nears birth, her udder will fill rapidly and just before birth it's tight and shiny (generally). Her pooch (vulva area) will swell and open some as well. If you see an amber color string of goo coming from her, then you will have kids within a few hours.

Oh yea If bet you have about 4 weeks or so. You can try to feel on her right side right in front of the udder a bit for babies. You can usually feel,them at 4 months. I was actually looking at my girls a bit just now when I fed and they look close to her size. Let me see if I can get a pic. Though size of their belly doesn't necessarily mean anything. Its possible she has a fairly round belly normally.

The udder will fill from the top down. As pregnancy progresses you should see changes where the rear udder joins the body. Just for ducks you might try standing directly behind the doe and clasping your hands together under her belly just in front of the udder. Push up sharply. You may be able to feel the kids as they come back down. The doe looks to me like she is about three and a half to four months along, but that is just a guess. Goats don't read the books and I have been fooled before. Many times, in fact.

Back
Top Bottom