Kidding signs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by michickenwrangler, Dec 8, 2009.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    My goat was acting irritable this morning (glaring at the alpha doe). She was bagging up a few days ago and her ligaments have slackened. Is this a sign that kidding is going to happen soon? She's actually only about 3 1/2 months along unless the breeder was wrong about breeding dates.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Yup she's getting close...And yes, she's too early, so seller must have counted wrong....

Great luck and let me know if I can help, especially hubby is great with goat births.

3. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Thanks Bargain

So far no baby. We'll be keeping an eye on her though.

4. vatc1234

vatc1234 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2007
    Corapeake
    Does she have a discharge? Pawing at the ground?
    Noisey? Some of my goats have classic symptoms, others
    just drop the babies without warning.
    I'd say there was a miscalculation in dates.

5. michickenwrangler

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    No baby yet (surprising considering that there's a snowstorm for the whole state and the trail that I use to walk to the barn has 3 trees down across it. Murphy's Law would dictate it would have been born this morning). It may have been a false alarm. She's a VERY quiet doe. I haven't heard her make a sound other than burping. Hasn't been pawing. Again, still keeping an eye on her. Emailed the breeder, said that August 25 would have been earliest breeding date. She was very firm that NO bucks have jumped fences or that she did. So, if she bred on Aug. 25, then she would be due Jan 25~ so this is about 6 weeks early, so it's just as well that I don't see a baby yet.

I haven't seen any discharge but the bucks were sniffing around her slightly swollen vulva. She's not in heat because she runs away from the big bucks and butts the dwarf buck. Neighbor suggested that the bucks may have licked some up. But her vulva is looking a little more prominent

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  6. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I don't know. Does will fool you. [​IMG]

I had a nubian have a ghost pregnency. She filled with milk, pawed, had the dreamy stare for weeks!

I stayed up everynight for a long time. I just knew she had to be close. In the end no baby. [​IMG]

All of my goats, have bagged up a month or more ahead of time. So don't get too anxious. She coudl jsut be having pregnency hormones.

Mine look like they could kid anytime for a month or more. But when they actually go into labor you will know.

So don't get too hasty. It could happen. But most likely she is just acting like a pregnent doe.

7. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Oh I forgot to add.

I have a little doe due on Dec. 23rd.

I swear everyday I go out there she looks like she is going to kid. But I know she is not.

Her vulva is swollen, Her udders are filled, she is twice as wide as her height. [​IMG]

It's driving me crazy waiting. Because I have spent so much time money and effort into getting a herd of Kinder Goats. And this will be my first Kinder babies. It's 10x worse then waiting for chicks to hatch.

I would just keep a watch on her. But be patient. [​IMG] She will most likely kid on the correct date.

My last doe kidded after I was at a horse show for three days and I had no sleep. Does just love to do that to you. I got home thinking of napping and sure enough she was in labor. After waiting for about 6 hours. I went inside to shower. Came back out after 10 minutes and the baby was coming now.

She birthed two babies. One that now 6 months later is still nursing and nearly as big as momma. [​IMG]

And one that had a bit of deformities. But is now got a lovely pet home as has straighten out.

The little one could not warm up. And I sleep in the straw in the barn, and snuggled her under a blanket all night. Waking up every few hours to milk the mommy and feed her.

Goat kids are wonderful things. They are so fun to have. And it's a miracle to watch a birthing.

Goodluck with your doe. Keep us posted. And I will for sure post a topic when my doe kids.

*Getting ready to drive 18 hours to pick up another goat*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by