Kiddy is acting weird.. I'm worried

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lucysmom002, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Lucysmom002

Lucysmom002 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My bantam 1 year old RIR hen is acting strange today. She is a really sweet friendly little girl. She is the one that stopped laying in Feb. and went broody on us. She didn't lay and wouldn't come out of the nest box for a few months. We gave her eggs to hatch and she was fixed. She just started laying eggs again last week. She laid a big one today.
    Today she is kind of lethargic, I picked her up she was very quiet (she normally is very vocal) she just laid on my lap and closed her eyes. I thought she was going to die on me! I was petting her all over and she didn't care. Now she is laying under the coop with another large RIR that she used to pick on.
    In the past I've seen my big Barred Rock hen peck her in the head. I hope she didn't hurt her.

Any ideas?

2. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    My daughter noticed that she was shaking her head a lot the past few days. Every time she would make a vocal sound she would shake her head. She almost looks disoriented or neurologic at times.
    I just went out and offered her some watermelon. She ate a few tiny pieces and started walking around and talking a little again. hmmm

3. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Oh gosh, I don't know what is wrong, but I hope someone can come along to help! [​IMG]

Is she egg-bound maybe?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  4. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    She laid an egg today. A very large egg. Now she is standing under the coop ignoring me which is not normal. It looks like her butt is all messy. Kinda whitish looking. I hope she didn't blow her butt out~!

5. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Oh sorry, I see that you said that in your first post. Geez, I don't know, maybe it is just taking her a while to recover? I hope she will be ok!!!

6. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    tonight she is on her roost but standing up and still weird, ughh poor little girl.. thanks sadies chicks

7. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Today Kiddy is moving very slowly. Everything she does is slow. She's roosting and she did drink water. When she wants to eat she puts her beak in the food but doesn't pick any up and keeps wiping her beak off after it touches food. She went outside this morning and ate a few blades of grass and back to the roost. It seems like she doesn't want to open her mouth or something. Very slow moving too when she picks at the feed.

any ideas????

8. Lucysmom002

May 6, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I just gave her some scrambled egg, some softened bread (with water) and some finely chopped carrot. She is picking at it and seems to really want to eat but it takes her forever to eat a tiny little piece of food?????? please help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by