Kidnapping Roosters!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheChickenCameFirst, Aug 13, 2010.

1. TheChickenCameFirst

TheChickenCameFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Heya, I have a question.

I am a "chicken owner to be" and I am trying to plan for everything.

I am planning on primarily keeping laying hens. My neighbors have free ranging chickens that often wander into our yard, consisting of about 6 hens and 2 roos. (I'm not sure of the breeds... ) I need to know if I let my hens free range during the day will their roosters kidnap mine and make them part of their flock?? I'm rather worried they will! Please let me know what you think! (Sorry if it's a stupid question.... I am new to this for sure!!!)

2. Chickenlover7711

Chickenlover7711 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    I think you should be fine if the do wonder together they would find out who is alph hen and roo, but i am sure you will be able to get all of your chickens back fine.

3. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
  4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, that is a good way to spread disease. I'd never let my flock come in contact with another flock for that reason.

5. TheChickenCameFirst

Would it solve the problem if we got a roo?? Or would that be worse because they'd fight with the neighbors??

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Roosters - well, all chickens - are territorial. If you had a rooster, he would defend his yard, coop, and ladies. "Defend" can mean anything from just crowing about it all the way up to fighting to the death, and anything in between. Some roosters are Bravehearts and some are wusses.

7. TheChickenCameFirst

Are there specific breeds that would be more likely to fight to the death, and ones that would just be passive aggressive lol!? I am just trying to get a grasp on all the behaviors of our feathered friends. I'm not really up on the behaviors of certain breeds.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  8. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    My Barred and Buff Rock roos seem to have divided the 23 hens. Free ranging they stay within their group with their chosen roo. When they roost at night there seems to be a truce. Both roos guard their hens during the day like a mom gator. That's not to say there aren't some disagreements during free range. Some hackle raising, posturing, and some lunges. No real spurs so no real knock down drag 'em out fights.

9. TheChickenCameFirst

OK great! Thank you I will keep those breeds in mind!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by