kids and bb guns

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by agnes_day, Dec 19, 2008.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    hello, i just wanted to get some opinions..
    do you think it is ok for kids to have bb guns?
    we just bought our oldest and third oldest boy bb guns for christmas and while reading up on gun safety and all of that i have come across a lot of articles that are against kids having them.
    personally, i have no problem at all, as long as they dont go and shoot each other in the butt or anything like that.

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    If you believe everything you read EVERYTHING is bad for you. Use your parental instincts and good judgement and all should be well. Don't be afraid to put your foot down HARD if you have to.
    I am 62 and grew up with bb guns. Everybody had em but it was well understood that parents (your own or otherwise) would step in if there were any problems. All the boys I knew plus me all carried pocket knives (even to school) and no one thought twice about it.

I know it is a different world but the sad thing is many children are being deprived of that glorius freedom we all had during the summer months.

3. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    yeah my boys have knives too..i dont see the harm at all!

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    it depends on how old the boys are...AND how responsible they are.

5. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    the only issue that i have with kids and bb guns or guns in general is..i was brought up with the belief that a gun is not a toy no matter how small ...as long as it is not treated like a toy..i have no issues...and what i mean as a toy is shooting ppl in the backside or the cat to watch him run like the wind...

respect is the key..they have to respect that even though it is a small gun it can still hurt people...

6. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I bought one for my 9 year old- he'll be 10 in February for Christmas. I would like him to hunt eventually with DH (he would too), and I thought this would be a good way to start. At first I'll only let him go with DH until he gets his feet under him...

I think he's mature enough at this age, but I think it's a kid by kid thing. He wasn't ready until this year, but he's also my oldest...

Christina

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

My son has had them for years...... It is YOU that has to teach them to be responsible with them, and then they will be fine. My sone and his friends go to an old abanonded housing tract and play war games, with camo gear, face masks, the whole 9 yards. They have a BLAST!!! They practice on soda cans full of water in the back yard against the block wall.

Do not let them remove the orange tip. Tell the kids they will go to jail if they do - that'll scare em enough to keep it on.....

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends.

If they use them to learn that all guns can hurt and can kill, then great teaching tool!

Use it to each them to respect firearms and learn how to use them.

If it's meant to be like a wii, to be shaken, tossed, aimed left and right, then probably not the best.

I think it's fine, just treat it like a firearm.

9. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    My son loves his guns and knives. He's responsible and has been through gun safety and knows the rules. I also allow him to keep his guns in his room on his gun rack. They are locked and we have the key. As a parent I feel it's our job to make sure we educate our children and I feel we've done that well and see no reason he shouldn't own his own gun.

I believe it's up to individual parents and their beliefs/rules, not what public perception tells us.

Last summer our son was also shot turning away from a boy with an air pellet rifle. He got him right inside upper leg close to his private area. We reported it and spoke to the parents. I requested the boy lose his hunter ed. card and retake the class. He was put on probation and was ordered to do community service. He was a good kid that made a mistake and hopefully learned his lesson about pointing any type of weapon at another human.

10. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    Number one is responsiblity.

If they are responsible with them, then I see no problem.

Because I have land and I am zoned ag....I am ok...but my neighbors behind me that have small city lots in the subdivision it is NOT ok....the terjectory of the bullet exceeds the land they have and so it is unsafe and unlawful. The Sherriff said if they want to use them they have to go somewhere where it is ok....a shooting range...what have you.

One neighbor in particular was a nuisence since his son was sitting up high on their swing set and shooting into our property...killing birds right above my coop and when I was out in the garden and my children were playing in the yard behind me...a bullet buzzed by my ear and tinged a metal/glass makeshift coldframe just a few feet from where my children were running.

You bet I called the cops.

There's responsibilty that comes with any weapon and there's respect of one's neighbor.

me,
    g

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by