kids and chhicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hannahenriquez, Feb 4, 2016.

1. hannahenriquez

hannahenriquez Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2016
    i am wondering how safe it is for the chicks to be handled (under supervision!!) by children. basically, will holding or touching them too much harm them? we've never had babies

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It depends on the age of the chicks. After a week or so, its probably safe in the first 1-3 days i'd suggest probably not so much.

CT

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    CT has given you some good advice.
    I'm sure this doesn't have to be mentioned, but make sure the children don't kiss the chicks and of course wash their hands after handling them.
    Have fun with your new babies! You will be amazed how fast they grow.

4. littlelune810

littlelune810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State
    I was wondering about this as well, our chicks will be home March 11 and my 5 year old is very excited!

5. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I think it is wonderful for you to involve your child with raising chickens.
    It is rare, but be prepared with answers if a chick arrives unwell or even dead or if one happens to get sick later on and pass away. It is unfortunate, but sometimes these things can happen and if you are prepared it will make it easier when a small child is involved.
    At 5yrs. old a child can definitely help with water and feed/treats and of course holding/playing with the chicks. Later on egg gathering will be so fun!
    Chickens are very adaptable, so if they are used to your child they should have fun "growing up" together[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  6. hannahenriquez

Jan 31, 2016
    we actually had the "chicks often die" talk already just to warn them that, yes it will be sad but dont freak out....im of course hoping that wont be the case with ours....we are hoping to get 6 of them in march and i am trying to keep their excitement up by giving them one new piece of "equipment" each week that they do all their chores. last week they got feeders and a waterer. next week we will probably get the heat lamp and i was thinking the bedding/pine shavings or whatever. any ideas on what best to line the brooder with??

7. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

I always use pine shavings. It has worked well here. Good luck with everything. The kids will love this experience.
    Marie

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree, pine shavings work well.
    For the first couple of days I put some white paper towels under the feeder, so it's easier for them to see any spilled feed. Yes, they will spill and scratch the feed, that is fine. As long as it is dry leave it be, they will have fun scratching around in the shavings under the feeder to find feed. I accidentally spilled feed when mine were little, they spent many happy hours scratching and pecking.

Are you planning on brooding in the coop?

9. hannahenriquez

Jan 31, 2016
    planning to brood in the house, im not sure if the coop will be done (my dad is building it for us but is swamped at work right now) by the time the chicks come so for now i am planning on keeping them in the garage (insulated and not used for a car) so they are protected from the elements, the temp is controlled, and they wont smell up my house....but things may change. we dont get them til next month so....

10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Post deleted because Dummy here didn't read the OP's post well enough and answered the question she THOUGHT she read, not what was actually being asked. Forgive me, I'm old. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by