Kids and chickens

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by happychickengirls, Oct 3, 2010.

1. happychickengirls

happychickengirls Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2010
    Connecticut
    One of the best things about having our chickens so far is watching my kids with them. From the time they have been
    baby chicks to now (egg laying age) they have had so much fun with them. Whoever gets up in the morning first
    runs out to the backyard to open their door to let them out for awhile and give them their morning snack of raisins. When they get
    home from school they both run out back to see how many eggs they have laid. Every day is an easter egg hunt!!!!!
    They love feeding them their snacks, giving them attention and making sure they are locked up every night.
    I honestly have to say we have had our five chickens for nine months now and no one has tired of them. They are so
    entertaining to watch and have brought our family so much joy!!! We enjoy our fresh eggs and so do the neighbors!!
    How great to be a kid and have chickens!!! Priceless- is all I can say...........

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I just hope it doesn't get old for them like it did for my kids....

it hasn't got old for me.

3. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Its true! I read an article once that said chickens are one of the top 5 no-no pets for kids!? I have no idea why... they are easily cared for by my daughter, and never have an issue. She still (after 2 years) loves having them out with her, and always is the first to go feed them when its feeding time. She knows all their names and is always telling EVERYONE when they ask what pets we have each and every chicken and duck along with the cat and dog. (Its a long long long list! LOL)

4. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    I think it's wonderful that your kiddo's are growing up with "the chicken experience" . Besides teaching them how to care for animals/pets, it's helping them learn to be kind to our feathery friends.

Hopefully they'll pass the same experience on to their kids some day too!

5. Moabite

Moabite Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    Utah
    Another positive aspect of having chickens. Our 6 yr and 11 mo olds both love to be around the chickens. The excitement of our 6yr old when he finds an egg is warming.

6. zoo2u

zoo2u Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Virginia
    I completely agree! my kids have been around chickens for 6 years. My middle child loves them the most, names them all, carries them around, sings to them. i have even caught her taking them down the slide with her. both of my daughters have decided to join the 4-H poultry club this year because they love them so much. Chickens and kids are great together.

7. fivecents

fivecents Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2010
    Strafford, Missouri
    I think the whole chicken experince has been a wonderful example to my 2 teenage daughters--that the freshest, most organic food is what you raise and grow yourself! (Eggs, that is...we won't be eating our "pets!")

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    They are happy gals!

9. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    there is nothing cuter than seeing my 8 and 5 yrs old grandkids fighting each other to get to the chickens first.. they sit on the ground with all 30 and have them crawling all over them.. they especially love all the colors of the eggs they lay from brown to sky blue. and the 5 yr old grandson just walks right up and picks up the roosters with no problem at all..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by