Kids and Wildlife

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Pattymal, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Pattymal

Pattymal Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    Eastern Pennsylvania
    Help!
    My daughter who will turn 6 this fall, has a passion for animals. I am trying to encourage her but at times I am at such a loss. Right now she just found a baby bird our cat was stalking and she 'rescued' it. This is our third rescue this month (robin, baby bunny, now very tiny brown bird)- we have a small box we have turned into a temporary home with a screened lid, and we can usually convince her the animal will be better off back in the wild after a few hours...
    Anyway, I am wondering-

A- How should one care for a baby bird of unknown species? (Only temporarily- we will let it go as soon as possible!)
    (Right now I have the kids out digging for worms...)

B- Any suggestions on how to direct my daughter's passion?
    We live in a suburb on a less than half acre lot. We have a dog, 2 cats, 4 hermit crabs, and our chickens, of course. She wants a farm. (So do I, sigh...)
    I am thinking I could take her with me to volunteer at the Humane Society, or perhaps we could do some pet fostering. She would love to have kittens and that might be fun, I am just afraid that doing either of those things would only lead to her begging me to keep all of them...

C- I am also trying to get in touch with our local licensed wildlife rehabilitator. We only have one in our area, and so far, I haven't been able to get hold of her. I would love for her to talk to my daughter, or perhaps we could do some volunteer work through her...

I want to encourage my daughter's kindness and compassion as much as possible, but I honestly shudder when she finds another animal that needs our 'help' as each time I fear that we will be responsible for it's death...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by