Kids Chillin' with the chickens on a hot, humid summer day...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Keltara, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

....With some cold watermelon from Madeline. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Tara and Daisy...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. ChickInDelight

ChickInDelight Never an Empty Nest

Apr 27, 2011
    Browntown, VA
    My Buff Orpington, Buffy, is by far the sweetest of my chickens. What great pictures! Why is the hen banded? How do you do that? I would like to band the 2 I have that I can't tell one from the other.

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    As always, I love your pictures! [​IMG]

4. Keltara

Quote:Jo-
    I really need to put up a post about these. I get asked a lot. It's really a great idea though! The reason she's banded is because I needed to identify our BO's as we started with 4 chicks, and they are clearly pets! We lost one to a predator earlier this month though. [​IMG]

What I used were small colored zip ties!! I got them at Home Depot. They come in really pretty colors and are very easy to change with a little pair of wire snips when they outgrow them. I think in all, I have had to change them 4 or 5 times due to growth and they are now 11 weeks old. It's been a while since I've needed to change them. They work GREAT and are very cheap. Any leftovers can be used for whatever brings a need for zip ties! They came in a package with green, yellow, blue, pink, orange and yellow. They look like pretty bracelets on our "Henny Penny's". The kind they sell on line and in feed stores didn't look comfortable to me. These work perfectly and are much cheaper.

Here's a picture of them when they were younger. We banded 3 of the 4. There has been no confusion of who is who.
    [​IMG]
    ~Kelly~

5. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Jo-
    I really need to put up a post about these. I get asked a lot. It's really a great idea though! The reason she's banded is because I needed to identify our BO's as we started with 4 chicks, and they are clearly pets! We lost one to a predator earlier this month though. [​IMG]

What I used were small colored zip ties!! I got them at Home Depot. They come in really pretty colors and are very easy to change with a little pair of wire snips when they outgrow them. I think in all, I have had to change them 4 or 5 times due to growth and they are now 11 weeks old. It's been a while since I've needed to change them. They work GREAT and are very cheap. Any leftovers can be used for whatever brings a need for zip ties! They came in a package with green, yellow, blue, pink, orange and yellow. They look like pretty bracelets on our "Henny Penny's". The kind they sell on line and in feed stores didn't look comfortable to me. These work perfectly and are much cheaper.

Here's a picture of them when they were younger. We banded 3 of the 4. There has been no confusion of who is who.
    http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o106/imagineitphotos/IMG_3502.jpg
    ~Kelly~

So sweet!

6. chickenboots

chickenboots Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    fl
    We used zip ties for our RIR's too. They work great. I was scared they would tighten up at first but we have had no problems with it. I just check them every day. I'm already out there with them anyway. A couple have fallen off but now that they are grown I can tell them all apart by their combs.

7. Keltara

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy :

As always, I love your pictures! [​IMG]

Thanks Aspen![​IMG]

8. Keltara

Quote:Shera-
    I haven't had a problem with them tightening either. They get so much attention each day that it has never been an issue. I don't think we'll need to change ours any longer as I don't think their legs are going to get any fatter. I love how they look. Just a little splash of pretty girly accessory for our pampered BO's![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. As always, I love your pictures!

XX22!~!

you have the best camera and kids!

and of course, the main star of the photos! Daisy​

10. Keltara

Quote:XX22!~!

you have the best camera and kids!

and of course, the main star of the photos! Daisy

Awwwww....thanks Deette. I just looked through all the pages on your personal page. AWESOME!! Brought lots of smiles to my face and heart. Your hubby did a GREAT job on your coop and you have decorated it inside and out so well. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by