Kids Got a New Incubator, Now, Hatching Eggs????!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greygoose, Jan 13, 2013.

1. greygoose

greygoose Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    My 4 yr. old is very fascinated by unusual chickens and "BIG Hair" chickens, meaning anything with a big crest. I would love to be able to set a bunch of unusual layers for him to hatch and raise himself and collect eggs some day!!!! Anyone have any ideas of how to get some cheap hatching eggs!!!! I want him to learn and have fun, but don't want to put too much $$$ into this project!! We live in eastern KS and if I could get a rainbow of colors or at least some blue eggs or blue feathered breeds, his favorite color,, that would be amazing!!!

Thanks!!!

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    Check out the auction forum here on BYC and have them shipped to you, hatch rate can be lower for shipped eggs, but I hatch shipped eggs all the time. Also I would encourage you to hatch some not so important aggs first so you can get to know your incubator etc. Have fun.

3. greygoose

greygoose Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2012
    I had an incubator exactly like this one when I was little, but had Aunt's who gave me eggs to hatch, and was very successful. Then I raised them and hatched their eggs each season. Would like for my son to have a similar project!!!!

4. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by