Kids heart broken, EE's laying white eggs.

K&H Chicken Farm

Songster
11 Years
Feb 17, 2008
Redding CA
We went out and spent the last of the kids Easter moneys on 5 EE pullets/laying already. Its been a couple days now and we have gotten 6 eggs so far. Every one of them are white and on the small size. So are we stuck with white eggs or can we breed these and get some colored egg layers?
Shelly

Are you sure they are EEs? I've never had an EE that laid white eggs. Some folks think any cross bred chicken is an EE.

Jody

well I had 5 EE's - and I got 2 light green eggs, one olive green, one brown, one that is an off white !! I was pretty bummed out - but hey at least they are laying LOL

Julie

All of her chickens looked alike. She said she has been working with this line from the 70's. I hate to think I was took by a old lady. *sigh* I think I will stick to hatching for now on. ..May have to sneak out there one morning and put colored eggs in there boxs.
lau.gif

Egg colour can be so light early on that they appear white. Do these pullets have green legs? If so I think their eggs will develope colour.

Also look at the inside of the shell on early eggs for a pink or blue tint. The inside is not green ever, but can have tint depending on the layers breeding.

You were taken or she missed understood you. EE are mutts and not a breed and never the same color. So she could not be working with that line from the 70's since there is no line to work with ie breed. Plus they lay a good size egg not small. Sounds like a bantam breed.

K&H Chicken Farm :

All of her chickens looked alike. She said she has been working with this line from the 70's. I hate to think I was took by a old lady. *sigh* I think I will stick to hatching for now on. ..May have to sneak out there one morning and put colored eggs in there boxs.
lau.gif

I feel your pain!!!! I have 5 EE and we love them very much. 4 of them lay green eggs, but my favorite girl lays just a plain ole pinkish tan one. I thought, Brownie...how could you!!!! LOL!!!!! Oh well, I love her anyway. They have the best personalities.

Quote:
It doesn't have to be a recognized breed for a person to be working with a particular line of chickens for a long time. All it takes is, she got some particular chickens in the 70s and has been selectively breeding them ever since. That is, has been selecting the best (according to whatever her personal criteria are) from each generation to produce the next generation. Doesn't have to be a name brand chicken, anyone can make their own 'breed' that way if they want even if the APA doesn't recognize it <shrug>

Pat

Back
Top Bottom