Kids only nursing one side

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by PotterWatch, Jan 15, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    So the triplets are pretty much only nursing on one side and Bella is getting really full on the other side. I know that I need to milk her out on the full side, but how often should I be doing it? Twice a day or more often? Thanks!

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    2-3 times a day would be good...but you also might try grafting the kids onto that side. Some are dumb, and don't realize there are two teats there. When you can and see them trying to nurse, grab 'em and put them on the ignored side. Works all the time for me when I have singletons nursing one side...once they realize the size of the bar, they visit both sides [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have seen them nursing on that side occasionally, but they take a gulp or two and then let go. I have tried getting them to latch onto that side, but they are having none of it. I will just continue to milk her on that side unless I see that the kids are nursing more on that side. Thanks!

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I thought you were talking about HUMAN kids. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

<going to take some medication - I think I need it> [​IMG]

5. Thunderhill

Thunderhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    North Alabama
    You can also try taping up the well used teat for a couple hours..forcing them to drink that other side. If not, I would milk her 2-3 times a day as well

6. PotterWatch

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I wouldn't be offering to milk her out if that were the case... [​IMG]

I don't mind doing the milking, gives me good practice for when I start milking her on both sides for my own uses. I need to get faster at this!!!!

7. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:What are we gonna do with you. LOL

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I'll give you my doctors phone number.

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Quote:I'll give you my doctors phone number.

[​IMG] YAY.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by