Kids, our newest predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by into_my_web, Sep 16, 2010.

1. into_my_web

into_my_web Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    We have been dealing with the same group of saucy young boys at our animals for a few months now.
    They've been throwing rocks at our chickens and ducks and chasing them.
    They have also been coming around when we are not around and getting into the coop.
    Today they crossed the line, we went out for a drive and left the two day old baby duck with his momma
    because she's starting to get the hang of motherhood, we came home roughly two hours later and found the baby duck dead.
    He was flopped over on his back and looked like he had been stepped on, we found out from my uncle that the same boys
    were in the backyard bothering the duck and talking about kicking him. It was pretty obvious that they did kick him, or step on him.
    We found them later and gave them a stern talking to and a warning. Their mother called and was furious that we yelled at her kids,
    she did not care that they killed our duck at all. She didn't even punish them, they were back outside within the hour.
    Is this worth calling the police, or will they even do anything?

Rest in peace Angelo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    That is horrible! I am so sorry for your poor baby duck, I would call the police- they are trespassing and damaging your property. I would also let the parents know that next time they are on your property you will get the authorities involved. I don't know what the laws are like in your area, but hopefully some one can help you. Good luck!

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I think I would call the police. The mother is on her way to raising a couple of socio-paths. I would also post you property with no trespassing signs. That way you can back up your claims with trespassing charges.

4. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would also think about calling the police and asking them to talk to the kids and their mother. Unacceptable behavior and I wouldn't want it to get worse.

I am so sorry for your loss.

5. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    My family keeps telling me that if I call the police I will lose my chickens because we live in a residential area.
    Is that true?

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Of course i'd call the police! Why would you tolerate it? Do you have animals abuse laws in your country?
    What a bunch of sick kids...
    YOu can tell how they got that way..by the response you got from the mother...

7. forrestacres

forrestacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Squam Lakes - NH
    In this situation, I would definitely contact the police. These children are out of control and it appears that the parent(s) do not give a rip.

8. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    Absolutely call the police! Sociopathic criminals often get their start by torturing or killing small animals. Those boys need to be dealt with now in a very no- nonsense way. If the police could come out and talk to the boys, and family, that would be great. If not, then file a report, with pictures, if you can bring yourselves to take them. A game cam in view of the coop and backyard would be a good idea, and locks on the coop and run as well as posting your property as NO TRESPASSING would be the steps to take. These boys are starting with animals but there is no telling at what point they will start vandalizing your home, or become a general threat in the neighborhood. Apparently they do not have any good role models at home. Do not let them get away with this. That poor little duck was defenseless. Think of him and what he must have gone through as they ended his life, as you take steps towards handling this situation.

9. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Quote:It depends on what the laws are in your area. Are you allowed to keep chickens? If yes, then you won't lose them!

10. into_my_web

Jun 20, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Quote:It depends on what the laws are in your area. Are you allowed to keep chickens? If yes, then you won't lose them!

I know I am allowed to my animals in this province, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to have them in this residential area, My neighbour has chickens too though, I'm honestly not sure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by