Kids ready?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MissJames, Jan 25, 2009.

1. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    At what age are Pygmy Goats weaned and ready to go to a new home?
    I just put a deposit on 2 newborns and I'm seeing mixed info.I wamt to make sure they are with momma as long as they need to.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    8 weeks min

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i think i bottle fed mine for to long, but, my pygmy and french alpine goats wernt fully weaned until they were 3-4 months old....but the last month or so was really only a comfort feeding type thing, like at night time....[​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Truthfully it depends on where you are what the set up is. I wouldn't sell one and take it from its mother before 8 - 12 weeks.

We have a variety of dairies here where I live. All kids and lambs are taken from their mothers at 2 days and then bucket/bottle fed. If you don't mind having a bottle baby you can get those relatively inexpensively.

Hand raised kids have a very different personality and handling compared to those raised by their mother.

5. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    We wean ours at 8-12 weeks minimum. It depends on how they are eating and growing. Just make sure they are eating hay really well and are up to date on their CDT. Wethers usually are closer to the 12 weeks or older so that we can wait until then to band them so that they are as big as possible.

as far as pygmies go I have quite a few who act like "bottle babies" that were momma raised, as long as you interact with them a lot they are very quick to become spoiled rotten and cuddly. They have been bred for their outgoing people loving personality as well as their cobby pygmy type bodies because they are primarily pets.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  6. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    I generally send my kids to their new homes at 10 weeks (occationally I'll need to keep on longer), I like to have the kids separated from their mom's about a week before they are picked up. 8 weeks is the bare minimun I will take one from it's mom, that would normally be a buckling that is alittle too mature! If I'm keeping the kid I try to leave them as long as possible, usually as long as I feel comfortable w/ bucklings, and around 5-6 months w/ doelings (I wouldn't wean them at all, but I have seen some w/ to strong a bond, and I want them to be able to live w/out each other). Bottle babies are weaned no sooner then 3 months, and usually around 4 months depending on the kid (I wait til they let me know they're ready).

7. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Thank you all.I was told they would be ready at 8 weeks and wanted to make sure that wasn't too soon.She did say the doeling might be a little longer so she could be sure it was eating properly.Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by