Kids snuck button quail eggs into my bator! Got a chick!!! Help!

chicken_china_mom

Crazy for Cochins
10 Years
Apr 24, 2009
Tab, Indiana
Well, I didn't see the two teeny little button quail eggs that my kids popped in the bator, and today I went to empty the bator because I was moving the eggs in it into another bator for lockdown (Silkie eggs), when my younger DD caught movement under the turner. She asked me what that was, and my first thought was "Oh gosh, another chick hatched in the turner!", but then she starts exclaiming that it's a button quail chick! I was like what? I didn't set any quail eggs!!!! But she did! Unbeknownst to me of course! So I lift the turner up and pulled out the tiniest, fluffiest little chick that I have EVER seen! It's not even as big as my thumb!!! So I am now sitting here, holding this tiny little creature, completely unsure of what to do with it! The mama quail is not brooding on her eggs, and hasn't since I got her, so I don't think it would be wise to put the chick in there with her. I can set up a tiny makeshift brooder inside the larger brooder since I only have the one heat lamp at the moment. Gosh, I don't know anything about BABY button quail!!! Do I need to crush the food for them? How fast do they grow? When do I offer treats? What temp does it need to stay at? Will it be ok raised alone? I don't want to put it with chicken chicks, it would get trampled, so recommendations? advice? I need it quick! Not sure when this baby hatched either. It's fully dry. Could have been today, yesterday, two days ago, it was hiding under the turner and was easy to miss. I'll keep checking this thread!!!

Oh my gosh that is just to funny
lau.gif
about your DD putting the egg in there. Children make life so unexpected!

I have no idea what to do with a quail though
idunno.gif
Someone will come along. Would it help to post in the quail section?

Yes, you need to grind up the food for them for awhile... i used a blender.
And be careful of them drowing in the water... i lost many that way until i got a parakeet waterer...
If you just have a bowl or regular chick waterer for them..you need to put rocks/marbles in it ... they still may drown though..

Last edited:
Quote:
I second that!! you may want to ask CoopCrazy, he in in Quail heaven!

sorry this is off topic, but Shultz
your rooster on your profile pic looks just like a rooster that someone is trying to identify on the homepage

Last edited:
Quote:
I second that!! you may want to ask CoopCrazy, he in in Quail heaven!

sorry this is off topic, but Shultz
your rooster on your profile pic looks just like a rooster that someone is trying to identify on the homepage

Mr. Fancy Pants is an American game from the Dr. Kozura line. Hope that helps!

Back
Top Bottom