Kids traumatized this morning

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by kenbrackins, Sep 3, 2008.

1. kenbrackins

kenbrackins New Egg

Aug 31, 2008
    [​IMG] We had just fed our flock and getting ready to leave for school. My son who is 10 wanted to give them a meal worm treat before we left. A big hawk came down and started chewing on the sweetist silkie you ever saw. In an instant she was killed. We live in the city and have not had a loss-been over a year. That hawk sat in the neighbor's oak just waiting. I took a BB gun and peppered it. It didn't like it too much-hopefully it won't come back. Kids are broken hearted and chickens are spooked.

2. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear about your silkie. That was terrible that your ds had to witness it. Tell him to remember the good times he had with silkie.

3. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    edited [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's illegal to shoot birds of prey most, if not all places.

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I understand how people feel about their animals and how they act quickly. I also understand the need for compassion and validation. There are many ways to deal with predators, some legal and some illegal.

It is illegal to harass, maim, or kill hawks and other raptors.

Please do not admit to doing any illegal act on here. The internet is not a private place.

6. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    It isn't the bird's fault its natural for them to want to eat and if its in the city I doubt their is much more than your chickens to eat. It prob saw them and thought "OH WOW A EASY MEAL!" It didn't see the harm in it animals don't usually stop and think. The best way to protect your flock is a run w/ a top, but I suggest you don't shoot them big fines for it and you can go to jail. I could see if it was a cat or dog though then I might use a airsoft gun they don't actually go in the skin they just bounce off and leave bruises depending on the power of the gun. Its what I use on the neighbor's cat.

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    Quote:That is VERY true. They may be predators, but shooting them is a BIG no-no. Now raccoons, that's another matter all together.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  8. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

OK folks I have cleaned this up a bunch. Please review both the rules of the forum and of this section before posting. No further insults or backslapping, period. Helpful hints with respect and tact please!

Ken sorry for your loss.

9. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    They are federally protected I believe, everywhere. i agree with dacjohns. Do not post acts on birds of prey here! Only get yourself in trouble ErinM

10. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    sorry mod. did not see your post not insulting though just advice. ErinM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by