1. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Does anyone else here make Kifer?

2. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    What are you talking about? What's kifer?

3. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    southerland? jack bower?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    MN
    Fermented dairy product, spelled Kefir.

If no one on here makes it I suggest the sister site Sufficient Self, quite a few on there make it!

5. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    There is a family on youtube "pockets of the future" that have 2 milk cow and they make as much of their food as they can. They have a pretty funny post about using kefir to make homemade pizza dough. It almost took over the whole kitchen.

6. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
  7. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Thanks Blackbird, I always get that i and e mixed up.
    My nephew got my mom to order some grains a month ago and started making it. She sent me some of her extra (you grow more over time and can share). I have been making it about a week now and I am starting to feel the benefits of it. I tried it after my mother, who has had sever eczema all her adult life, told me for the first time in in 40 years she has been clearing up and can actually go outside in the sun and not have a sever break out. That is almost unheard of with her.
    It is like a yogurt product only much tastier, way cheaper and better for you. You can make it with whole milk, fresh milk (cow or goat), 2% milk and even coconut milk. The directions are to leave it culture for 24 hours, that is just an estimate since everyone's will grow different due to heat, moisture, location etc... I do a one quart batch at a time and mine is usually at best around 13-18 hours. Strain my kefier grains out for the next batch, put the kefier in a blender with some frozen fruit a little honey and whip up a great smoothie. I find it best after it chills in the frig. for about an hour. You can find plenty of recipes on the web. I can only give a thumbs up to one site http://www.kefirlady.com/ since that is where my mother ordered her original kefier grains which appear to be of good quality since it has been making excellent kefier since.
    I have read on web MD, http://www.webmd.com/allergies/news/20030530/kefir-helps-lactose-intolerance that some people that are lactose intolerant have even been able to put dairy back in their diet.
    Now that I am hooked I will never buy store bought yogurt again and continue to search the web for new recipes so when my kifer grains increase in volume and I can make bigger batches I will be ready. The way hubby goes through what I make now it may be a month or more, I am lucky to get one glass out of each batch.lol.

willcatdawson that is a really excellent site, also checked Dom's and great also.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by