1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Kill and Eat

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by AshleyMeurs, Oct 9, 2013.

1. AshleyMeurs

AshleyMeurs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2012
    Canada
    Thanksgiving weekend here in Canada!! We are getting our Turkey from the Neighbor on Saturday and were planning on butchering and eating on Sunday... just wondering if there are any health issues or other issues associated with doing this! We could always butcher Saturday when we get it but planned for Sunday because we have people coming over to help with all the chickens at the same time!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! :)

Thanks

2. I like mine to rest for a couple to 3 days. Are you going to brine it? I am not saying you can't eat it the same day or within 24 hrs but letting it rest does make it more tender. If you processed today, Sunday may still be pushing it.

Wish ya the best.

1 person likes this.
  3. onehorse_2000

onehorse_2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Never had a problem with processing and eating in the same day. Not buying the 3 days of rest makes it more tender, but brining probably will, but we never have brined and never felt ours where tough, quite the opposite, in fall of the bone tender no matter how we abused it in the oven (we have a bad habit of forgetting our turkey is in the oven, so they tend to get extra cook time).

4. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    If you don't mind taking a chance on eating a bird that is in full rigger, then you are right! Resting any meat IE: Deer, Beef, Pork, Chicken, and yes Turkey for several days will make the meat much more tender. And older the animal, the longer the resting time needs to be, up to maybe 7 days. (And some say you can go 10 days! But before I'd rest an animal more then 4-5 days, I'd use a brine bath.)

1 person likes this.
  5. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    After I process a chicken or a turkey I let it rest in the refrigerator for at least 3 days so it can go through the rigor phase. Eating a bird the day it was processed may result in very tough meat. Of course their is no health risk to eating it soon after process. If at all possible I would say try your best to process it tonight if not then early tomorrow and then let it sit in a brine in the refrigerator until sunday at cooking time.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    Do you rest the meat prior to freezing also?

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I do. I leave the meat in the refrigerator for 3 days before I freeze or eat. Some say they freeze it immediately and let it go through rigor during the thawing process. I prefer to let rigor pass before freezing.

8. Macs farm

Macs farm Out Of The Brooder

I had a tough bird by eating same day, with in 4 hours. 24 hours seemed fine. I aim for 48 if possible now. We process lamb and many hang over night before breaking down and freezing it. 6 day in a cool room gives me the tastiest, tenderest lamb I've ever had. i'm going to look into the brining process and give it a go.

9. amynrichie

amynrichie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Nebraska Panhandle
    How do you brine a turkey? And for how long?

10. retlaw

retlaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2013
    Heritage birds don't need to be placed in a brine.
    Industry birds do well in a brine.

Heritage birds are closer to a wild animal so they are much leaner and should be cooked at higher heat for shorter time.
    I cook heritage at 400 to 450 wrapped in parchment paper.
    Comes out perfect every time.

When I cooked a heritage at low heat like one will do with a Industry bird because of the loads of fat it has the heritage turned out to have tough dark meat.
    The lack of fat and slow cooking time damaged the quality of the heritage bird.

No brine at high heat for heritage gets me the same comments every time,
    "That's the best turkey I have ever eaten"
    What more can one ask for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by