Killed a mink now what?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by pringle, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    I live by a swamp so we get lots of critters roaming through our area.I just set up a live trap and Ive caught 2 minks so far I dispatched both with a high powered pellet gun,they didnt suffer.The first one I caught was a month ago and I just caught the second.I buried both.I was wondering what you do with the predators that you kill?

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Quote:First of all be real careful what you say and how you say it. Mink are considered furbearers and come under trapping laws in many states. You have to know your hunting and trapping laws and what you can legally do to protect your animals and control predators.

That said, using the all inclusive word "predators" which includes critteres like Norway rats, feral cats, and house sparrows; none of which are protected so far as I know; we just throw the carcasses in the woods. But I have 100 acres in which to dispose of carcasses. It gives the scavengers something to eat and hopefully keeps them away from the house.

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    oops thanks for the heads up!

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    hi neighbor!

in MA, ANY property owner can dispatch/kill a critter in defense of life or property. I imagine almost every state makes this exception to otherwise 'ordinary' laws re. taking of animals/pests.

you are quite okay.

send me an email and i can send you the text i have, so you'll have a copy for your future predator 'taking' work.

5. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Everything that I catch or shoot I skin and possibly eat. I do not eat opossum or raccoons, but I will eat a squirell or rabbit. The hides make good brooder covers in the winter.[​IMG]

6. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

4 more and you could make a nice coat [​IMG]

7. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    That's what the deer I shoot are for.[​IMG]

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I process and sell the pelts I eat a number of different animals and find folks who want them as well

9. Robo

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    I sell some of the extra coon pelts, and I process my own meat. Never went to a taxidermest or butcher, and I sure as heck aint plannin to. Skinnin coons is hard work, but they make some pretty good leg warmers.[​IMG]

10. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    The predators that I kill get thrown out back at the edge of our property for the family of vultures that we have

Edited to add that if anyone wants to give me a tutorial (with pics-cuz I'm that kind of gal) on how to make a coon skin hat or leg warmers [​IMG] just drop me a line!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by