Killed by a Hawk or Turkey vulture?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stubbornhill, May 6, 2011.

1. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    I am so sad. My favorite hen, my one and only Ameraucana was killed yesterday while out free ranging. I understand the food chain, but whatever killed her, didn't even take her (to me that makes it worse). I am wondering if if may have been a hawk or turkey vulture. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two predators? Her neck wasn't broken, just a hole in her side. [​IMG] Certainly won't bring her back, but just trying to figure it out. Thanks for any input.

2. tnchickenut

tnchickenut It's all about the Dels!

Jan 24, 2010
    Englewood, TN
    "hole in side"? maybe a dog? Maybe a BB gun? Maybe a hawk attempt failed?

I had a dog bite my roo and it killed him... just a hole in his side.

Sorry for your loss. I lost one yesterday to a raccoon.

3. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Sorry about your loss too! I know it is part of the keeping of livestock, but still stings none the less. I had thought of a dog too, but we really live out in the country and I have never seen a stray dog on our land. The hole was the size of a fist and one of the main bones was broke inside. So I am guessing some sort of impact too. I don't know....

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Turkey vultures eat carrion. I've heard that they may go after a small chick one in a while, but I doubt they'd kill a full-grown chicken. A fist-sized hole in her side makes me think that something was feeding on her. Look up hawk attacks on here - there's lots of good information on the evidence and damage a hawk will leave.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If there were a turkey vulture around the bird then it was already dead. I suspect something killed it--dog, coon--then left and the vulture was doing what they do, cleaning up.

6. stubbornhill

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Thank you all for your ideas and help. Based on others comments on hawk attacks, I am thinking that this may be the case. She was an older hen and probably not as fast as the others. Grrrr...If your going to kill it, take it and eat it. We could have scared it off when we came home. She was still warm and it was kind of chilly out yesterday. Thanks again for all of your thoughts and ideas on this.

7. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Western NY
    My Coop
    Quote:If it was a hawk, it may not have been able to take your hen if it wanted to. An average female Red-tailed Hawk (one of the most abundant and largest hawks in North America) rarely weighs more than 3 lbs. whereas an adult LF hen usually isn't below 5 lbs...! When hawks take prey that is too large for them to carry away they usually mantle and eat it on the ground. If another predator comes around (human, fox, coyote, etc) they will often leave their kill in favor of not becoming someone else's meal instead...

I am sorry about your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by