Killed Two Chicken Snakes

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mylittlefarm, May 15, 2009.

1. mylittlefarm

mylittlefarm New Egg

May 1, 2009
    I just killed a chicken snake the other day when it was on my fence going into the chicken pen. Darn thing was within inches of my ehad and scared the crap out of me.

Each day we go out to check on the babies we find one dead in the cage. It's head is wet and my husband couldn't figure out what was going on.

Well, I know!! It's another chicken snake! I caught him in the act just a few minutes ago and chopped him in half. It was too late he already killed another chick. That makes four out of sixteen.

Going to the Farm Supply tomorrow to get some SULFUR to stop this once and for all. I will put a line of it outside the pen and another line inside around the coop itself.

I just let them out of the cage today to start getting use to the coop and now the little things are scared to death in the cage and out of it. They aren't safe anywhere.

What good are the grown chickens if they won't protect the young ones?

The only good chicken snake is a dead chicken snake!!!

2. Polish Chickens

Polish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Houston
    Guinea Hens are good at killing snakes so I'd recommend them

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:They didn't rear the young ones, hence they have no obligation. Aside from that, it's rare that a chicken gives a snake a second glance unless it's small enough to eat.

4. mylittlefarm

mylittlefarm New Egg

May 1, 2009
    Yeppers, gonna get me a flock of Guineas as soon as we get more land fenced in.

We devised a new pen to put the chicks in that is now guaranteed snake proof. No way in for anything less than human. It is outside and now I'm more worried about wind. They still want the light to get under and wonder when they're going to let go of that, but with the new cage outside I don't want to take the light out yet.

They're six weeks old so hopefully they will be OK. It's has a good roof, but the sides are small wire, only a bug and wind can get in through that wire.

I guess I can staple plastic bag on three sides, just in case. It's supposed to be 68 tonight and 79 with rain tomorrow... what do you think???

5. ga*chick*

ga*chick* Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Ga
    I had a huge chicken snake take up house in the hen house..he never bothered the chickens..but he ate ever mouse that was in there. He has moved on now, at least I think so, haven't seen him in forever.

Sorry that the chicken snakes got your chicks..I suppose if mine had been eating chicks he would have been dispatched by the hubby!

6. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I'm sorry about your chicks.

We've had a couple of snakes AND we have five guineas that roam around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by