killer broody cochin hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snaphu, Aug 26, 2011.

1. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    I have two cochin hens that are continuously broody, like non-stop! ... I have let them sit on eggs in a safe broody box where there is no interference from the other hens... they have access to food, water and can get up and walk around. Three separate times now, they have eaten the eggs before hatching, and eaten the chicks after hatching!! [​IMG] it's sooo gross! [​IMG]

I do have an incubator, but I've heard about how incredibly wonderful cochins are at setting, hatching and taking care of baby chicks! I'd rather have the chicks hatch naturally, but it would be nice if they could survive and not just be a 21 day cooked meal for the cochins [​IMG]

is there something I'm doing wrong? any suggestions welcome...

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup, letting them hatch eggs is wrong. If I have one that proves to be a bad mother, she never gets another chance. You can keep them for eggs, but don`t let them do that again.........Pop

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pop is probably right. Mothering ability like other traits is heritable. I once knew of a beagle called Creole Casket Girl - she ate her pups. So finally the owner hand raised her third litter. All of her daughters also ate their pups. I would recommend getting cochins from another source. I doubt that your husbandry is the problem.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I would cull them. Sounds like they're not great layers, if they're persistently broody, so keeping them for eggs isn't an option. Cull them and try again with some other hens. I'm with you, I'd rather have a broody hatch chicks, but that's just not acceptable.

5. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    thanks everyone for all the wonderful tips and suggestions!! [​IMG]

6. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:I hope they all ended up spayed! That's awful! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by