Killer chicken. Beware.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JazzyByProxy, Feb 20, 2013.

1. JazzyByProxy

JazzyByProxy New Egg

Feb 20, 2013
    Sydney
    Long time lurker, first time poster :)

So this morning, I relocated my compost pile as it was messing with the chi of the yard. My big Isa Brown, Iggy always hangs around to gobble up whatever we find.
    We got to the bottom of the filth when I notice her dart to my feet. On closer inspection she had a small mouse in her beak & she was smashing it on the earth.
    By now our other Isa Brown, Diddy, wanted to know what was going on & a race ensued around the yard for what seemed to them to be a treasure. Once Iggy got it in two bits, she ate it.
    I was really shocked. I've read about raptors & chickens being relo's (ChickensRDinos I'm talking to you) but has anyone else experienced this? & am I going to get a giant mutant egg tomorrow?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    My ladies have had mice a few times. Your eggs will just be heavier on the protein. At least that's what I figure. [​IMG]

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    Just look at as a big bug and figure your gonna save on the food today.

4. Mac14

Mac14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2012
    Northern California
    I've read of chickens eating frogs whole! [​IMG]

5. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    I keep a bag of pine shavings in my coop for 2 reasons. 1. It's easier to replenish the nest boxes when it's right there. 2. Inevitably, some mice make their home under it. Every couple of months, I call the girls into the coop and move the bag. They chase the mice down and gobble them up!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by