Killer chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lu King, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Lu King

Lu King Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    On the Titanic
    I have a RIR that I think is a male...because out of 50 chickens he is the most aggressive. Anyway, he is attacking a lot of the other chickens by pecking at their feet. Several of the other chicks are joining in to the point of making the victim of his attacks almost unable to stand. They were all out in a huge fenced pen. Of course, we put him a pen of his own now, along with one of his pals.

They are about two months old now.

What is wrong with this monster?

2. jprice2ndlt

jprice2ndlt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Hodges, S.C.
    Sounds like to me they are starting their pecking order. Could be wrong though.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

RIRs tend to be aggressive. I had a bunch of mutts with a RIR daddy and I've never experienced such viciousness in a brooder bunch! They've finally calmed down at 3 weeks but we had to literally turn them loose to open range to keep them from eating each other.!

4. jo-me

jo-me Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    Where can I see a Pic of RIR. this behavior sounds like my chickens I have. I bought 25 chicks from Ideal and they were different breeds unlike anything I am familar with. They have pecked each other to the point they have hugh bald spots all up and around their tail feathers which most no longer have any tail feathers. They were good layer, that is until a dog got into the pen and killed 12 of them. Any suggestion on a type that not as agressive as these chickens are? TIA

5. jo-me

jo-me Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2008
    By reading another post I found out that RIR lay brown eggs. mine lay blushish green eggs. So I have no idea what I have.

6. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    it sounds like your blue green layers are amaricanas. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by