Killer chickens - mice beware!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shannonwbl, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

I use live-traps to catch mice in my horse barn. I just can't stand to clean up those nasty snap traps. I usually take the mice away from the barn to release them.

A month ago as I was opening the trap the chickens came up behind my and attacked the mouse as it was making its escape. They seemed to enjoy torturing the thing before one ran off with it. Now every time I open one of the traps they are waiting. My boys think it is hilarious, but it gives me the creeps. I am also worried they might choke on one.

I am cool with the whole circle of life thing but is this NORMAL or should I worry about my chickens choking on a mouse? Please don't suggest that I cut it into pieces for them because that is not going to happen!

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They won't choke on them. And it will keep those pesky mice from finding their way right back to your barn. AND your girls get a nice high protein snack.

Happy faces all around....except for the mouse, of course.

3. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine love mice, especially pinkies!!! And they can eat them all they want. I'm not going to stop them. Potpie got ahold of a momma mouse and all five of her pinkies, and the chickens will also kill rats.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    I've seen my chickens tear a mouse completely apart, *shutter* NOT a pretty thing to see.

6. witeowl

witeowl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    Quote:This worries me a little. I'm just beginning building our coop, and I wondered if the ground squirrel(s?) that adopted our back yard would give the hens a hard time when they're free-ranging. Now I guess I have to worry the other way? :|

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Quote:This worries me a little. I'm just beginning building our coop, and I wondered if the ground squirrel(s?) that adopted our back yard would give the hens a hard time when they're free-ranging. Now I guess I have to worry the other way? :|

They don't touch the ground squirrels. I wish they would! I think the squirrels are too fast for the chickens. But, you need to watch those darn things because they will eat ALL of your chicken food, and I'm not kidding. We resorted to stuffing bottle rockets down squirrel holes because I was going through a bag of feed a week instead of a bag a month. Not to mention that they have fleas, ticks, and who knows whatever else on them.
    If your chickens happen to kill a rat, get it out of the run ASAP because they will eat it.

8. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

First - thanks for the responses. I am glad to hear my choking fears are unfounded. The boys will be glad to as they have on occasionally entertained their friends with the "Mouse Eating Chickens" so they will be glad to know the games are on.

I on the other hand find it a little disturbing and reminiscent of Roman coliseum entertainment, especially from my animal loving boys, though I doubt there were many gladiators screaming and jumping around like little girls.

I never thought about bottle rockets for the ground squirrels. We have lots left over from the 4th. Boys, Mom, has a job for you..........

9. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    You could also place a garden hose in the hole and drown them.

10. witeowl

witeowl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2008
    Quote:Hadn't thought of that. We kind of of like our little squirrel visitor(s?), but I can see how they could be trouble. I like to think that they won't be able to get in the run when it's closed, but they might start going when it's open if they're that fast.

I'm planning on a dog soon, maybe he'll help keep the little guys in their place on the other side of the yard.

I guess if they ever becomes a problem, it will be time to get a havahart trap. I know you're not supposed to relocate wildlife, but we live in enough of a desert with enough unused land around us that no one would ever know. (Welcome to Nevada. Bonus: no fleas.)

We'll just cross our fingers and hope the animals can all coexist well enough in the back yard. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by